Posted to alt.home.repair

Default When one tool won't do

Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add screening
with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8" plywood
soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to maneuver
correctly.

Okay, try the HF Multifunction tool. After cutting a bit, I computed it
would take several hours per hole.

Damn! Break out the itty-bitty B&D battery-operated mini-saw. Been so long
since I used it the batteries were junk.

Angle grinder with diamond blade - more smoke than cutting.

By now, I have about three hours invested in one stinkin' hole! Time to take
extreme steps.

I limbered up my electric chain-saw pole trimmer.

Damn thing went through the project like a silver bullet in werewolf's butt.
In two minutes I had the hole I wanted and a LOT of sawdust I didn't
especially want but didn't mind.

I've got four or five more holes to make, but it won't be much of a job now
that I've found the right tool.

-------
Aside:

Here's an ad for a shooting range in Kentucky. No, it's not photoshopped. It
appeared on the back page of a free weekly newspaper.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3394/...538156.jpg?v=0

I'd describe it further, but frankly, words fail me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote:

Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add screening
with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

I used a 2.5" drill bit.
-snip-
Here's an ad for a shooting range in Kentucky. No, it's not photoshopped. It
appeared on the back page of a free weekly newspaper.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3394/...538156.jpg?v=0

I'd describe it further, but frankly, words fail me.

Am I getting too old, or have I just gone to too many gun safety
classes, or did Parris Island & VN just take the 'fun' out of guns for
me? Is anyone else bothered by promoting a range as a party place?

Paintball is fine if that floats your boat- but I want to share the
range with folks who are thinking about the business at hand.

I got to hand it to them though-- if it wasn't for the party
packages, they sound like a great place to hang out-

http://www.openrangesports.com/
Love this line;
"You heard right, 100 YARD TUNNEL of ballistic perfect INDOOR RIFLE
RANGE right in Kentucky! Sight your rifle in but bewa once you
sight in with our perfect ballistics you’ll have no excuses to miss
that shot"

And rent a 50cal!!! Tossup if that or the 106RR is my favorite
weapon.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add screening
with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8" plywood
soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to maneuver
correctly.

This would have been a good time to remember that you own a jigsaw.

(snip)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add
screening with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8"
plywood soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to maneuver
correctly.

This would have been a good time to remember that you own a jigsaw.

(snip)

A Sawzall might have been an appropriate choice, as well.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add
screening with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8"
plywood soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to
maneuver correctly.

This would have been a good time to remember that you own a jigsaw.

(snip)

A Sawzall might have been an appropriate choice, as well.

I have known jigsaws. Nasty creatures. At 2" per minute it would take an
hour (and several blades) to cut one hole.

You must have been trying to cut 3/4" ply with a broken saw and a dull,
metal-cutting blade installed upside down and backward. Any jigsaw with
a new wood-cutting blade will cut faster than you'll probably care to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add
screening with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8"
plywood soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to
maneuver correctly.

This would have been a good time to remember that you own a jigsaw.

(snip)

A Sawzall might have been an appropriate choice, as well.

I have known jigsaws. Nasty creatures. At 2" per minute it would take an
hour (and several blades) to cut one hole.

The sawzall was going to be my next attack - I was concerned about how to
handle the 2x4s it would encounter. As it turned out, the chain saw easily
skipped over the rafter extensions.

If the reciprocating saw wouldn't work, there was dynamite.

2" per minute? Is your plywood made from seasoned oak or something? Was
the blade in backwards when you last used one?
Agreed, typical worn-out wobbly-when-new 20-buck jigsaws are an
irritating pain to use. I think many people remember them as the first
'power saw' they ever used, and think they are all like that. A modern
non-toy jigsaw would have made short work of the holes, and a fresh
quality blade would not have broken or smoked unless you ran it across a
nail or something. It would have been the second tool I reached for,
after the drill to make the corner holes. Typical 1/4 or 3/8 ply used up
under an eve would be trivial cuts for them. Only tool I can think of
that may work better would be one of those baby cordless circular saws-
this would be one of the few apps I can think of where a 3/4 scale saw
would be handy. (I wouldn't want to try holding my ancient Skil 7 1/4
upside down for five feet at a time either, even with a good stage and
plank to walk on. From a ladder? Forget it.)

I've never used a sawzall for finish cuts like that, much less a
chainsaw. I have heard of those that did, but I try to limit the sawzall
to demo work. I did use a chainsaw to cut a house in half, once
(pre-move), though. That was kind of fun.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 5:11*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Porter Cable "Saw Boss" small / light circular saw...perfect for
this application (originally sold as a panel saw)

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:59*pm, fftt wrote:

Porter Cable *"Saw Boss" * small / light circular saw...perfect for
this application (originally sold as a panel saw)

Even better, the Makita 5090DW.
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5090DW-.../dp/B00004YODY

I love the thing when I'm up on a ladder and don't want a cord in the
way. It's much smaller than a Saw Boss, which I also have (tool
junkie and hoping never to recover and will ignore all intervention
efforts). With two batteries and the typical 1/4" or 3/8" soffit
material it would make short work of it.

I also use it with a diamond blade for cutting tile for little trim
jobs and fussy cuts.

I'm taking it to the grave with me - planning on cutting my way out of
the coffin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
[...]

Thats where the price vs value thing comes in. Put a quality blade in
the saw and you can experience how it is supposed to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even better, the Makita 5090DW.http://www.amazon.com/Makita-5090DW-...ircular/dp/B00...

I love the thing when I'm up on a ladder and don't want a cord in the
way. *It's much smaller than a Saw Boss, which I also have (tool
junkie and hoping never to recover and will ignore all intervention
efforts). *With two batteries and the typical 1/4" or 3/8" soffit
material it would make short work of it.

I also use it with a diamond blade for cutting tile for little trim
jobs and fussy cuts.

I'm taking it to the grave with me - planning on cutting my way out of
the coffin. *

Rico-

I had one of those but it never worked very well....... but I was
using the steel blade that came with it and figured even with a decent
blade the thing would still lack the power.

I sold it on ebay, maybe I should have given it another try with a
decent blade?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:59*pm, fftt wrote:

[...]

Yep. The steel blade that comes with it is okay if it's new and
sharp. The carbide blade is much better and the diamond blade works
well with tile. I like it as a generalist tool. It's not the
fastest, strongest, etc., but it's useful for lots of little jobs and
awkward places.