Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default When one tool won't do

HeyBub wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Use another. And another.

My current project is to cut sections out of the soffits and add
screening with a view toward increasing the airflow in the attic.

After marking off the position of the new hole (8x60") on the 3/8"
plywood soffit, I limbered up the power saw.

Power saw was too heavy to hold upright and very difficult to
maneuver correctly.

This would have been a good time to remember that you own a jigsaw.

(snip)

A Sawzall might have been an appropriate choice, as well.

I have known jigsaws. Nasty creatures. At 2" per minute it would take an
hour (and several blades) to cut one hole.

The sawzall was going to be my next attack - I was concerned about how to
handle the 2x4s it would encounter. As it turned out, the chain saw easily
skipped over the rafter extensions.

If the reciprocating saw wouldn't work, there was dynamite.

Thats where the price vs value thing comes in. Put a quality blade in
the saw and you can experience how it is supposed to work.