Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on Ryobi batteries/charger.

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless
chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow
saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby
branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have
a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote in
m:

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless
chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow
saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby
branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have
a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

what's it say on the charger itself?
Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

Li-ion batteries are better because they hold a usable charge for months
while NiCd and NiMH self-discharge much faster.But they do need a charger
specific for Li-ion.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless chain
saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow saw, but it
is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have a
Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

*The ONE+ charger can handle both batteries. I was also told that the
regular charger can handle the Lithium Ion batteries, but have not confirmed
this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

what's it say on the charger itself?
Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

On the Li-Ion battery packaging, it says you need to use the specific Li-Ion
charger and not the standard Ni-Cad one.

So much for the Ryobi ONE...I guess its now the Ryobi ONE and TWO

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/09 12:53 pm Rudy wrote:

I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

what's it say on the charger itself?
Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

On the Li-Ion battery packaging, it says you need to use the specific Li-Ion
charger and not the standard Ni-Cad one.

So much for the Ryobi ONE...I guess its now the Ryobi ONE and TWO

Not exactly: ISTR that the charger designed for the LI-ion batteries
handles the Ni-Cd ones as well. I don't think we can blame Ryobi for not
making their Ni-Cd charger handle batteries of a kind that they had not
yet introduced.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:32*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

m...

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless chain
saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow saw, but it
is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have a
Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

*The ONE+ charger can handle both batteries. *I was also told that the
regular charger can handle the Lithium Ion batteries, but have not confirmed
this.

I read the same thing when the Lithium Ion batteries were first
released along with their ability to be used as replacements for the
original batteries in the various Ryobi tools. I have almost the
complete set of the One+ tools and can't find anything negative to say
about them. I have been using them for about two years and just now
bought two new batteries because the original batteries were not
holding a charge as long as I wanted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/21/2009 8:49 AM (ET) Jim Yanik wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless
chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow
saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby
branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have
a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

what's it say on the charger itself?

The charger is many years old and made before Li-ion batteries were
available. I made a mistake tho. The charger I have is not a ONE+
charger, but it does charge the ONE+ NiCad batteries.

Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

The only thing they say is that the 18v Li-ion battery can be used in
any 18v ONE+ tool. They don't say the Li-ion battery can be charged on
an older charger.
Li-ion batteries are better because they hold a usable charge for months
while NiCd and NiMH self-discharge much faster.But they do need a charger
specific for Li-ion.

That's what I was asking. At $80 for a Li-ion battery, I'll try the
NiCads in the chain saw, before investing in 2 Li-Ion batteries and
charger,.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 4:39�pm, BobR wrote:
On May 21, 9:32�am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

om...

[...]

holding a charge as long as I wanted.- Hide quoted text -

primcell in bedford PA primecell.com can affordably rebuild your
battery packs with all new cells, often with better capacity
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 5:58�pm, bob haller wrote:
On May 21, 4:39 pm, BobR wrote:

On May 21, 9:32 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

om...

[...]

battery packs with all new cells, often with better capacity- Hide quoted text -

http://primecell.com/pctools.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I was asking. At $80 for a Li-ion battery, I'll try the NiCads
in the chain saw, before investing in 2 Li-Ion batteries and charger,.

For the price of the 2 Li-Ion batteries and the corresponding charger, you
can BUY a good gas CHAINSAW that has probably 4X the "life" and power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On May 21, 9:32 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

m...

[...]

BobR, I'm not as impressed with the Ryobi tools as you are, and the 18v
pruning saw is the worst of the bunch. A 9" folding Corona pruning saw does
a much better and faster job. I also have many of the Ryobi ONE+ tools, and
the only one I rely on anymore is their battery powered caulking gun, which
souds strange but actually is a real winner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On May 21, 9:32 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

m...

[...]

I have the complete set as well except for the impact driver...I like them
as well...Haven't got the new batteries yet....I was under the impression
the new ones need the new charger....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:27*pm, "JimR" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

On May 21, 9:32 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

om...

[...]

souds strange but actually is a real winner.- Hide quoted text -

I have used the 18v Reciprocating saw for tons of tree trimming as
well as cutting out 20 year old shrubs around the house. Also used it
for cutting all the PVC pipe for replacing the sprinkler system. Have
used the heck out of both the drill and right-angle drill on many
projects including driving screws through hardyboard on a bathroom
remodel. The orbital sander has been great on sanding the wings,
flaps, and fuselage of a plane I am building. I even got good use out
of the small circular saw when doing the remodeling project.

The only problem I have experienced was trying to recharge the battery
immediately after heavy usage when it was still hot. After finally
actually reading the instructions on the set of batteries I bought
this week (don't let my wife know I actually read instructions) I
found that was my fault for trying to charge the HOT battery. The
only tool that I haven't been impressed with was the chain saw which
leaked out all the oil all over my shelves. It just didn't seem to
have the speed or power for any usefull cutting operations. The recip
saw really seemed to be more useful for that purpose.

I also have a 12v Lithium-Ion drill system at my hangar but don't have
enough useage to make any judgements on it yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobR" wrote in message
On May 21, 9:27 pm, "JimR" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

On May 21, 9:32 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

om...

[...]

I haven't tried the Ryobi 18v recip saw - I essentially converted to Ridgid
cordless once they came out with a lifetime replacement policy on the
batteries. I agree completely with your analysis of the chain saw, and my
Ridgid cordless drills, circ saw and recip saw run rings around the Ryobi
comparable units that I do have -- but I like their cordless caulking gun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"JimR" wrote:

The orbital sander has been great on sanding the wings,
flaps, and fuselage of a plane I am building.

Eh? Wood? Plans or kit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 9:51*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"JimR" wrote:
The orbital sander has been great on sanding the wings,
flaps, and fuselage of a plane I am building.

Eh? Wood? Plans or kit?

4-Place Fiberglass Kit...making slow but constant progress when life
doesn't get in the way.