Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Question on Ryobi batteries/charger.

on 5/21/2009 8:49 AM (ET) Jim Yanik wrote the following:
willshak wrote in
m:

I am looking at a reconditioned 18 volt, 8 inch, Ryobi ONE+ cordless
chain saw. I just need it for pruning branches. I currently use a bow
saw, but it is difficult to get to some branches because of other nearby
branches.
The reconditioned saw comes without a battery or charger. I already have
a Ryobi 18 volt ONE+ battery charger and two ONE+ 18v NiCad batteries.
The ONE+ means the batteries can be used in various 18 volt ONE+ Ryobi
tools.
I am also looking at an 18v Ryobi ONE+ Lithium Ion battery.
My question is: Can the Li-Ion battery be charged in the Ni Cad battery
charger that I already have, or do I need a Li-ion charger as well?

what's it say on the charger itself?

The charger is many years old and made before Li-ion batteries were
available. I made a mistake tho. The charger I have is not a ONE+
charger, but it does charge the ONE+ NiCad batteries.

Have you Googled Ryobi to see if they have info on their website?

The only thing they say is that the 18v Li-ion battery can be used in
any 18v ONE+ tool. They don't say the Li-ion battery can be charged on
an older charger.
Li-ion batteries are better because they hold a usable charge for months
while NiCd and NiMH self-discharge much faster.But they do need a charger
specific for Li-ion.

That's what I was asking. At $80 for a Li-ion battery, I'll try the
NiCads in the chain saw, before investing in 2 Li-Ion batteries and
charger,.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY