Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The new Ryobi Lithium batteries

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know the answer, but Ryobi tech support is terribly non-techincal.

Had a problem and question, similar to yours about batteries and chargers.
Got zero help from TS - guy did not know enough to communicate on the
subject.

RichK

"Cactus Jack" wrote in message
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 06:08:39 -0700, Cactus Jack
wrote:

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

*
http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

*http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

--
Oren

Thanks, Oren. Geez, after reading that, I'm not so sure I want
Lithium batteries now!

Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

*
http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

Oren

Thanks, Oren. Geez, after reading that, I'm not so sure I want
Lithium batteries now!

Jack

See the battery comparison to a work horse at the bottom :-))

--
Oren

"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

wrote:

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

Oren, why not check and see what the OP is talking about? Sure, li-ion and
Ni-Cad have a different charge and discharge protocol, but don't you think
it's possible that you can build a charger that does both?

The new Ryobi lithium battery can be used with the new & old tools. The
new charger can be used to charge *both* the new lithium and *old* one+
Ni-Cad batteries.

"With today's silicone chips and such..."

http://www.ryobitools.com/lithium/

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

Cactus Jack wrote:
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

The old charger won't charge the new batteries, but the new charger will
charge both the old and the new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 9:08 am, Cactus Jack wrote:
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Yes, they will need the new charger. That is why they are not selling
just the batteries right now. Hopefully they came up with a way to
make the new Lithium batteries incompatible with the old charger,
because there could be problems if you use the wrong charger on them.

This new charger will recharge the old batteries, so you can throw
away your old charger if you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

Oren, why not check and see what the OP is talking about? Sure, li-ion and
Ni-Cad have a different charge and discharge protocol, but don't you think
it's possible that you can build a charger that does both?

What I did was quote; "Li-Ion batteries require a special charging
system." and gave a link.

I can't build the charger, but I'm very certain you can. I appreciate
that.

The new Ryobi lithium battery can be used with the new & old tools. The
new charger can be used to charge *both* the new lithium and *old* one+
Ni-Cad batteries.

OP doesn't want new chargers, why not check? Got me.

"With today's silicone chips and such..."

...and an EPROM got us to the moon....

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

*http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

--
Oren

Thanks, Oren. Geez, after reading that, I'm not so sure I want
Lithium batteries now!

Jack

For now, Home Depot is selling a 2 pack of the old Ryobi 18v Batteries
for $40
http://tinyurl.com/3xxl2f

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

wrote:

[...]

Oren - Sorry you downloaded that - I sent a cancel message about 15 sec
after I posted and checked MY facts! :0(

I apologize.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cactus Jack wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
The new Ryobi Lithium 18v batteries are compatible with all their
existing One+ tools. I've looked everywhere to find out whether they
can be recharged in the existing 18v One+ chargers? If so, will we be
able to buy JUST the battery? Currently the only option, without
buying a new tool, is a combo battery and new model charger for $99.
I'd like to get a couple or 3 of these new batteries, but I won't pay
$99 for a battery and a changer I may not need.

Define "need".

Thanks,
Jack

"Li-Ion batteries require a special charging system." *

*http://www.primecell.com/qli-Ion.htm

--
Oren

Thanks, Oren. Geez, after reading that, I'm not so sure I want
Lithium batteries now!

Jack

Why?
Once you have the new batteries and the right charger for them,they will
retain their charge during storage far longer than other types,and have a
greater run time than the other battery chemistries.
If you use them daily,that long term storage is not a characteristic you
need,and it's probably not worth spending your money on,but if you use your
cordless tools only occasionally,then it makes sense.

It seems that Ryobi has made new battery tech practical for older Ryobi
tools.Also making those older tools better due to long charge retention
during storage.
(since most Ryobi buyers seem to be non-professionals that store their
cordless tools more than use them)

If Makita offered such an upgrade for my 6095DW,I would consider it when I
needed new batteries.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Energizer Hi-Energy Lithium Batteries hr(bob) [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 August 28th 07 02:12 PM
lithium batteries Mark UK diy 1 June 16th 06 09:33 PM
New Lithium-ion Batteries? Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 26 January 10th 06 01:06 PM
Lithium batteries not recommended? [email protected] Electronics Repair 23 November 27th 05 03:35 AM
AA Lithium batteries UK diy 10 August 27th 03 11:51 AM