Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central AC UV filter

A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a central
AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct. Is anyone
familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when they are
used and work.

tia, Roy

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a central
AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct. Is anyone
familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when they are
used and work.

tia, Roy

Customer? What kind of business are you in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.. .

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct.
Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when
they are used and work.

tia, Roy

What is it's intended function? Is it designed to kill mold, or is it an air
purification system? Do you have the name and model of the unit?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
.. .

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct.
Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when
they are used and work.

tia, Roy

What is it's intended function? Is it designed to kill mold, or is it an air
purification system? Do you have the name and model of the unit?

It kills stuff. It does not filter out any dust, pollen, dead bacteria
carcasses, etc. so is usually used upstream of a filter.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"RBM" wrote in :

A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and
duct. Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on
how and when they are used and work.

tia, Roy

I think you may want to google for germicidal lamp. A fluorescent-like
tube made of quartz glass, which lets UV light through. Handle with care,
ie gloves or with clean paper, because fingerprints will damage the tube.
Don't look into the light, and don't expose yourself (sunburn and worse).
Used in biological safety cabinets (tissue culture hoods) to keep them
sterile.

Glass absorbs UV.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
.. .

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and
duct. Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how
and when they are used and work.

tia, Roy

What is it's intended function? Is it designed to kill mold, or is it an
air purification system? Do you have the name and model of the unit?

It kills stuff. It does not filter out any dust, pollen, dead bacteria
carcasses, etc. so is usually used upstream of a filter.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

OK, it kills stuff. In this case it's supposed to kill mold. My assumption
is that this was recommended by the AC company to kill the mold in the
blower system, and I don't understand how it would kill mold in the duct
work that isn't near the UV light. Again, I'm assuming that if there is mold
in the air handler cabinet, there would also be mold elsewhere in the duct

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:12*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
RBM wrote:
. ..

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct.
Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when
they are used and work.

tia, Roy

What is it's intended function? Is it designed to kill mold, or is it an air
purification system? Do you have the name and model of the unit?

It kills stuff. *It does not filter out any dust, pollen, dead bacteria
carcasses, etc. so is usually used upstream of a filter.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Hmm. Seems to me I'd want it downstream of a filter, to protect the
lamp. Dust on the lamp may limit the output and effectiveness.
Unless you're going to clean it every month.

Remember, the filter in your system is not to protect YOU from dust,
it's to protect your coil so they stay working longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
.. .

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm,
Mold causing bacteria is air borne. Actually most germs are.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Tony Hwang wrote in
:

RBM wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
.. .

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

Mold is not bacteria. But yes, I think it would be best to have the UV
light before the filter, and possibly illuminating the filter to kill
things before they go THROUGH the filter. Again, UV is very bad for your
eyes. Make sure you have thick glass between your eyes and the light
when it is on. Also, the bluish light you can see is not the UV.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a central
AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct. Is anyone
familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when they are
used and work.

*Roy it sounds as though you want ultraviolet lights for inside the
ductwork. I've seen these used in hospitals, but I don't have any details.
I have also seen the ones used on water filtration units connected to wells.
The idea is that the UV light kills bacteria. Try talking to an HVAC
company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct.
Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when
they are used and work.

*Roy it sounds as though you want ultraviolet lights for inside the
ductwork. I've seen these used in hospitals, but I don't have any details.
I have also seen the ones used on water filtration units connected to
wells. The idea is that the UV light kills bacteria. Try talking to an
HVAC company.

Thanks John, I don't know who initiated this, possibly the HVAC service
company, and the homeowner is trying to get other opinions. From the
homeowner description, it's just going to be some type of UV light installed
in or on the air handlers. The claim is that there is mold growing inside,
and the UV will kill it. I've worked with the ones on spas, and water
systems, but I've never seen anything like this. It didn't sound like they
were going to be installed throughout the duct, as you describe, which makes
sense to me, just something in the blower. He didn't give me a number, but
said it was wicked expensive. A Google search didn't turn up anything that
was convincing to me. I suppose I should have him get more specifics from
the contractor, so I have something more tangible to look into.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think they're *that* expensive... the industrial-sized ones
I've seen (hotels etc.) are just fluorescent fixtures with UV tubes that
are put into the ductwork just upstream of the filters. If someone
wants one, I can't imagine it would cost more than a couple hundred
bucks if one installed it oneself.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

It sounds like YOU are the HVAC company, if he's coming to you with this
question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

*Roy I'm thinking if there is existing mold in the ducts that a remediation
company should come in and clean first. The Ultraviolet lights are only
placed near the air handler to my knowledge, not throughout the duct work so
they would not do much for anything beyond. I would think that the source of
the mold should also be addressed rather have something to keep the mold
under control. Perhaps moisture is getting into the ducts and condensing or
they are up against a moist surface such as a basement wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

OK, I get you. I'm not sure there is actually any mold inside the systems.
It may be the HVAC company needs work. I think the homeowner is skeptical as
well, at least regarding the remediation. This is your garden variety
system, one handler in the attic for the second floor, and one in the
basement for the first floor. The attic is hot and dry, and the basement is
finished and above grade. Both units can't be more than 10 years old, and
neither has the slightest bit of rust externally. I definitely need to dig
deeper and get more info from the homeowner

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

I'm just involved with lots of trades, so my customers routinely ask me to
check on things that don't seem quite right to them... and I did spend last
night at a HIE

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:03:40 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a central
AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and duct. Is anyone
familiar with these, that can give me any detail on how and when they are
used and work.

tia, Roy

Do you mean a UV light? I don't see how UV would need to be
filtered in a AC unit, especially I doubt if there would be any
significant amount present normally.

UV lights can kill some of the stuff we don't want in our air,
but it can only kill on surfaces that are illuminated by it or in the
air that passes though the light. I don't think it is especially
effective against molds..
Posted to alt.home.repair

As you appear to suspect, I doubt if it will be of any value
for this use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

*I understand the position that you are in. My customers trust me so they
ask what I think even though I have no knowledge or experience on the
subject. What ever the issue is your customer should get several opinions
before making any decisions. As you said the HVAC company could be looking
for work or they are just incompetent. The only time I have seen an
ultraviolet light unit installed on a residential system was on TV. It was
an episode of Extreme Makeover Home Edition where one of the children had a
condition and it was necessary to have a germ reduced environment.

Now I am going to reserve a room at a Holiday Inn Express :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and
duct. Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on
how and when they are used and work.

*Roy it sounds as though you want ultraviolet lights for inside the
ductwork. I've seen these used in hospitals, but I don't have any
details. I have also seen the ones used on water filtration units
connected to wells. The idea is that the UV light kills bacteria.
Try talking to an HVAC company.

Thanks John, I don't know who initiated this, possibly the HVAC
service company, and the homeowner is trying to get other opinions.
From the homeowner description, it's just going to be some type of UV
[...]

The UV light around the evaporator coil kills the
the micro-critters that can grow on the wet coil.
That area of any HVAC system is where microbes can
grow because that's where a lot of water and debris
can collect. Some evaporator coils are coated at the
factory with an antimicrobial compound that will help
kill off the little beasties. Anything that can kill
mold and mildew around the evaporator will also keep
the odor level down. I've seen yeast grow in the darn
things, some folks like to bake their own bread.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

Is there not some type of spray on coil cleaner antimicrobial stuff that can
be applied when the units are serviced? Do you recommend any type of UV
beast killer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On May 10, 6:08 am, "RBM" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

beast killer?- Hide quoted text -

Dont you like alt hvac. lotts of nice guys there to help you.

I thought I was clear about seeking help and advice!!

Ive
gotten mild mold and used bleach on my unit, but I rinsed well, as I
have heard bleach can affect coils, but I really dont know about that.
Im sure there are pro sprays. To me excessive mold indicates something
must be changed to not alow it to grow in the first place. Maybe an
additional dehumidifier or the drip pan doesnt drain well or something
else is wrong. I have heard about a tablet that can be set in the drip
pan to kill mold before it grows. A UV light sounds like a good idea
to use after you have fixed the issue causing mold, I have read they
come in different strengths and what HD sells are not the high output
units. A filter like Air Bear might be of use in trapping a large
percentage of spores after the main issue is fixed. My house is to
tight, I need to run additional dehumidifiers as my AC is also
oversized.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

The supply houses have all sorts of UV units
on display and there has been a big IAQ "Indoor
Air Quality" push going on for a while as another
revenue stream for HVAC companies. I don't look
at the UV lights as a gimmick or snake oil but
like anything, if properly designed and installed,
the UV lights should function as advertised. If
the equipment is not installed as per manufacturers
instructions, I would doubt the effectiveness. A
lot of gear is sold and just thrown in without a
lot of thought and when it doesn't work right, a
lot of folks will be prone to bad mouth the product.
I haven't installed any UV lights in any HVAC units
yet and I haven't tried to sell anyone on them. I
do use a lot of cleaners on both evaporators and
condensers to keep refrigeration and HVAC systems
running. Dirt is the big enemy of such systems.
A friend and me recently cleaned and treated a large
evaporator for a drug store where they had an odor
problem. Here's an example of some of the products
we used for that job:

http://tinyurl.com/pr3ntl

http://tinyurl.com/r69dav

http://tinyurl.com/r5snwd

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and
duct. Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on
how and when they are used and work.

*Roy it sounds as though you want ultraviolet lights for inside the
ductwork. I've seen these used in hospitals, but I don't have any
details. I have also seen the ones used on water filtration units
connected to wells. The idea is that the UV light kills bacteria.
Try talking to an HVAC company.
Thanks John, I don't know who initiated this, possibly the HVAC
service company, and the homeowner is trying to get other opinions.
From the homeowner description, it's just going to be some type of UV
[...]

Makes perfect sense to me, Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

Here are a couple I use. Different prices and applications. These are
indoor air quality products. They work just. They dont perform magic.
They wont cure a mold problem or asthma. It is merely another product
to help the indoor air in homes. Proper application is key. Some go in
the return duct, some in the supply and others are helpful in the
inlet of the cooling coil area.
Choose your poison. :-)
Bubba

http://sanuvox.com/sanuvox_residential_products.htm

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...Air+Treatment/

http://www.fieldcontrols.com/uvaire.php

Hey Bubba, in your experience, what kind of lamp life
are you seeing with these UV units? One of the first
questions I'll get is "how long will it last?"

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message
[...]

1 yr and 3 yrs depending on the brand. The Honeywell is 1 yr. They
tried to make a "smart lamp technology" and a light that tells you
when to replace but when you have a customer with a variable speed
high end unit and electronic cleaners and UV's they tend to run the
blower 24/7/365. So it lasts a year and gets replaced.
The Sanuvox is 3 yr. It will last beyond that but its effectiveness
diminishes.
Basically you just have to do the math and figure the cost over the
life and recommend the best to your customer.
Bubba

Me and my friend who I do a lot of HVAC work with have
never installed any UV lights for anyone. Most of our
customers are price shopping and I don't know if I could
sell them on it. I wonder if there is a light designed
for a package unit?

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:46:48 -0400, "Steve"
wrote:

I have had one for 4 years and it works. It is installed above the coil and
it is on all the time.
Steve

What exactly does it do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

They don't work in ducts. They work inside the cabinet.
The reason they don't work in ducts is because the amount of time UV
light takes to kill things in the air is longer than the amount of
time the air is rushing by.
As for working inside the cabinet, where the air is still, not only
would you need lights surrounding whatever surfaces you are aiming at,
but if you have things to kill on those surfaces, that means there is
something wrong with the system in the first place.