Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Central AC UV filter

On May 10, 6:08*am, "RBM" wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in ...

John Grabowski wrote:

"RBM" wrote in message

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"RBM" wrote in message
A customer of mine inquired about a UV filter to install in or on a
central AC air handler to kill mold growing inside the cabinet and
duct. Is anyone familiar with these, that can give me any detail on
how and when they are used and work.

*Roy it sounds as though you want ultraviolet lights for inside the
ductwork. I've seen these used in hospitals, but I don't have any
details. I have also seen the ones used on water filtration units
connected to wells. The idea is that the UV light kills bacteria. *Try
talking to an HVAC company.

Thanks John, I don't know who initiated this, possibly the HVAC service
company, and the homeowner is trying to get other opinions. From the
homeowner description, it's just going to be some type of UV light
installed in or on the air handlers. The claim is that there is mold
growing inside, and the UV will kill it. I've worked with the ones on
spas, and water systems, but I've never seen anything like this. It
didn't sound like they were going to be installed throughout the duct,
as you describe, which makes sense to me, just something in the blower.