Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Camouflaged tools

Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen at
the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with wood
scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen at
the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with wood
scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

There's always "safety orange" spray paint...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen
at the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with
wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

It's like the bigger opening in a tooth paste tube, or a larger size hole
in a soda can. With the tools, they hope you lose them, so you'll buy
another.

I spray all my tools with fluorescent orange. When I'm on a job site, I
know if someone grabbed one of my tools. Much easier to see than initials
engraved somewhere, and I have yet to lose one. Ugly yes, but it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such
stupid colors?

There's always "safety orange" spray paint...

nate

Yup, I routinely apply it especially to small but critical items like hex
keys needed to adjust a particular tool. Also helps others from confusing
my tools with their tools, you know how that happens sometimes,
accidental-like.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like some idiots who make the color schemes. Not real
working people like you and me.

My favorite color is blue. I'm part color blind. Blue stands
out on the forest floor. I discovered this years ago with a
blue Homelite chainsaw. Since then I keep thinking I've got
to paint my newer saws blue. One Stihl in yellow and orange,
and a red Homelite. Yeah, I'll do that. Someday. My milk
crate with bar oil and so on, that's blue.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"1D10T" wrote in message
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few
days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right
in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a
couple dozen at
the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept
up with wood
scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be
for such stupid
colors?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that
are leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in
with the vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple
dozen at the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept
up with wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such
stupid colors?

There's always "safety orange" spray paint...

nate

One summer on the apartment construction site where I was the gofer, I
was stuck being the key-keeper for the tool crib. After about the first
week of chasing stuff, I started highlighting all the common-use tools
with dayglo pink spray paint. Cut the shrinkage rate a bunch, and made
the MIAs a lot easier to find whilst doing the lock-the-doors walkaround
at the end of the day.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/30/09 07:05 pm 1D10T wrote:

Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen at
the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with wood
scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

About 50 years ago I read Vance Packard's book, _The Waste Makers_,
about planned obsolescence. The part that has always stuck in my mind
was about a manufacturer of potato peelers who wanted to increase sales.
Potato peelers do not wear out; the most common reason people buy a new
one is to replace the one they accidentally threw out with the potato
peelings. So what if we make our potato peelers look as much like the
peelings as possible? But, who will buy a potato peeler that looks like
potato peelings? So they put the indistinguishable-from-peelings potato
peeler in brightly colored packaging.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like some idiots who make the color schemes. Not real
working people like you and me.

Garden tools sold in civilian stores are styled, sized, and colored
based on what they think will appeal to women, who buy most of them. You
look at a real supply house, and bright orange handles are more common.
Fiberglas handles are almost always bright yellow.

Spending most of my recent project time trying to blacksmith a
tree-assaulted metal shed back into usability, I'm wishing fasteners
were dayglo-colored. My eyes ain't what they used to be, and when those
little suckers jump into dark corners or the leaves under the trees,
well, you get the idea. BTDT, so before I started, I went to the borg
and bought 100-count boxes of spares. And those hex-head zinc-coated
self-tapping pole barn screws go in with such a satisfying thunk,
compared to the wimpy Phillips-heads the thing was made with.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

One of my locksmith friends raves about self drilling
screws. I'm still old fashioned. I use my blue Makita, and
drill pilot holes, and then use sheet metal screws for much
of what I do. But, the couple times I've done self drilling
screws, it's been good.

And the self drilling screws are camofaged. Can't find them
most of the time. Boxes of 100 is the way to go. If you can
find the box where you left it. That is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

I went to the borg
and bought 100-count boxes of spares. And those hex-head
zinc-coated
self-tapping pole barn screws go in with such a satisfying
thunk,
compared to the wimpy Phillips-heads the thing was made
with.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lotus" wrote in message ...

"1D10T" wrote in message
[...]

And you can see YOUR ladder from a block away....................

Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen at
the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with wood
scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

That's why I never bought anything from the Brookstone catalog. Hard To
Find Tools? Not for me.

I once bought a fairly expensive pocket knife because it had a bright
orange handle of a new kind of plastic. That kind of plastic got dirty
and was impossible to clean, so I no longer had a knife that was easy to
find.

A band of red Scotch reflective tape makes tools like hammers and
screwdrivers easy to spot. It would be effective after dark, too.
Tools marked that way can be spotted so far away that I have often used
them as markers outdoors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

And why in the world do people dress their kids in 'camo' colors?
So they can't be seen when lost in the park? So they blend in with the
background when walking along the street?

Steve
41șN
Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days
that are leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend
right in with the vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a
couple dozen at the borg. At the end of the day several are
invariably swept up with wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such
stupid colors?

Stupid colors, yes.
What about the people that buy them?
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that
are leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in
with the vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple
dozen at the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept
up with wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such
stupid colors?

I saw an ad for camo condoms once, with the legend: "So they can't see you
coming!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen
at the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with
wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

Since this turned into some remarks on keys. People kept keeping a cabinet
key after using. Accidently I am sure by fogetting they put it in a pocket.
I attached the key ring to a 6 inch piece of half inch conduit and brazed
thr ring shut so key could not be removed. Have not lost it since. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"1D10T" wrote in message
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

Examples:
The pruning shears I've lost several times in the last few days that are
leaf green and yellow. After dropping them they blend right in with the
vegetation.

Carpenter's pencils in natural wood. Found a great deal on a couple dozen
at the borg. At the end of the day several are invariably swept up with
wood scraps and sawdust.

I know this is a silly post, but what could the reason be for such stupid
colors?

Since this turned into some remarks on keys. People kept keeping a cabinet
key after using. Accidently I am sure by fogetting they put it in a pocket.
I attached the key ring to a 6 inch piece of half inch conduit and brazed
thr ring shut so key could not be removed. Have not lost it since. WW

When taking care of a relative's farm, I would have to get a key from a
drawer to open the shop door. I was afraid I would never find it if it
fell out of my pocket into weeds.

I tore of a few inches of that non-sticky pink polyethylene surveyor's
tape and tied it through the eye of the key. Now it would be easy to
find if dropped. It's also easy to feel in my pocket and to spot in the
drawer. Unlike a key ring, the strip of tape isn't lumpy in my pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve.IA" wrote in message
1D10T wrote:
Why in the world are many of them in 'camo' colors?

And why in the world do people dress their kids in 'camo' colors?
So they can't be seen when lost in the park? So they blend in with the
background when walking along the street?

Steve
41șN

If you don't know the kids there may be method to the madness of the
parents!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I tried that with the keys for the display cabinets at work,
years ago. Took about eight inches of half inch copper
tubing, pounded one end flat, drilled, and put that on the
keyring. Less than a day later, someone took the copper off,
and threw it out. We went back to losing the keys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

. ..