Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Jim is offline

Default Galvanized to PVC

Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand
up pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. Two
pipe wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't wish
to crack the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

If pipe gets too corroded, the pipe just squashes when you try to hold it with a
pipe wrench with enough force to loosen a rusted joint.

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a
sawzall to cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

There are PVC compression couplings. The cheapest way might be a 2" length of
rubber hose with an I.D. equal to the O.D. of the pipe, and 2 hose clamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

Put a six foot breaker bar on each wrench.

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

Sure. Just thread the fresh pipe end after you cut it. Threaded PVC
fittings are common.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Please be kind enough to take some pictures of that 180
degree elbow, and post them to a photos hosting site. I'm
not sure I've ever seen one of those.

As to freeing up a rotted on elbow, Mapp or acetylene torch,
to heat the elbow. And then try the two wrenches while it's
still plenty hot. I doubt a fermo connector would work on a
water intake. Some threading kits are available to cut new
threads into the cut end of a pipe. But, that's risky.

If heat doesn't work, with the two wrenches. Then try heat
and then spray the threads with WD-4o till it cools down.
sometimes helps. I've also heard of heating it, and then
dripping candle wax onto the threads. but with a pipe coming
through the floor, that's hard to drip uphill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message
Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot
only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24"
above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is
attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to
the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather
corroded. Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't
wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use
a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:21:42 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled , to say:

The male pipe will start getting rusty and female will end up
splitting.

That's a metaphor, yes?
--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a memory thing, to me. Like the stala*C*tites
have a C. C for ceiling. stal*G*mites, G for Ground.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Just a mnemonic to remember the principle, like the
stelactite/stelagmite thing.
"the mites go up and the tites come down"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 22:19:03 -0400, against all advice, something
compelled "Stormin Mormon" ,
to say:

Sounds like a memory thing, to me.

That's what mnemonic means.
--

Real men don't text.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 3:27*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Please be kind enough to take some pictures of that 180
degree elbow, and post them to a photos hosting site. I'm
not sure I've ever seen one of those.

I believe that would be a "pipe cap"

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 12:51*pm, Jim wrote:
Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. *Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached. *
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. *Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. *Have to be careful as I don't wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) *Any easy way to free up that elbow?

2) *Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

2: Probably best not to try to free it up. Cut the pipe below the
elbow, install a "Dressler Coupling" (compression fitting), with a
stub of new iron pipe and elbow. I would bother with the PVC.

As someone else said: If you do go to PVC be sure the PVC to iron
adapter is a male. Just screwing a female pvc onto iron can split the
coupling (I did it and discovered the error after having to dig it up
to fix).

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

Can u post pic of "180 degree" elbow ??? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sounds like a memory thing, to me. Like the stala*C*tites
have a C. C for ceiling. stal*G*mites, G for Ground.

Stalactites are stuck tight to the ceiling. Stalagmites might reach the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 3:51*pm, Jim wrote:
1) *Any easy way to free up that elbow?

Don't be afraid to really romp on it. Collapse the pipe and twist it
off if you have to. It will be easier to use a cold chisel and hammer
to collapse the pipe threads and peel them away from the inside of the
fitting.

2) *Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

A transition will never seal on the rough galvanized. Compression
fittings are for smooth pipes. A rubber transition will not withstand
the pressure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 8:33*am, wrote:
On Apr 26, 3:51*pm, Jim wrote:

1) *Any easy way to free up that elbow?

Don't be afraid to really romp on it. Collapse the pipe and twist it
off if you have to. It will be easier to use a cold chisel and hammer
to collapse the pipe threads and peel them away from the inside of the
fitting.

And after you get done butchering a $1.25 fitting you throw it in the
trash and buy a new one anyhow.

2) *Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

A transition will never seal on the rough galvanized. Compression
fittings are for smooth pipes.

Perhaps you should be re-educating 60 years of plumbers who have been
using them then.

A rubber transition will not withstand
the pressure.

BS and see above.