Posted to alt.home.repair
Reed Reed is offline

Default Galvanized to PVC

Jim wrote:
Opened the water supply valve for my backyard water spigot only to
discover a leak. Pipe is galvanized extending about 24" above ground
level with a 180 degree elbow to which a standard valve is attached.
Water leak found in the threads where the elbow connects to the stand up
pipe.

Being at least 50 years old the connection is rather corroded. Two pipe
wrenches wouldn't budge it. Have to be careful as I don't wish to crack
the pipe below ground level.

Two questions:

1) Any easy way to free up that elbow?

2) Assuming answer to #1 is no, would it be possible to use a sawzall to
cut of the elbow and somehow transition over to pvc?

Can u post pic of "180 degree" elbow ??? ;-)