Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Galvanized Aluminum?

I bought some hot-dipped galvanized nails for use in a project to build
an elevated walkway around the building shown here
http://www.davidillig.com/observatory15.shtml. (I'm moving the door
around to the back of the building.) I noticed right off that the
slightest off-center hammer blow would bend the nails I bought. I might
not be Tom Silva, but when I hit a nail with a hammer it usually drives
home. After too many bent nails I examined the nails. Where they bent
the zinc peeled off revealing aluminum beneath. I also noted that
hammer blows caused the nail heads to shed some zinc in nails that did
not bend.

What the ~!? I think these nails are sub-standard because they bend
easily and because the zinc can peel. They are not suitable for use in
today's pressure-treated lumber.

Comments? Experiences?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Davoud" wrote in message
[...]

I might have noticed that the nails are lighter weight. Is there a reason
to galvanize aluminum nails. Aluminum nails do indeed bend easily. I's say
that what you got was not what you bought.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Davoud wrote:
I bought some hot-dipped galvanized nails ...
... After too many bent nails I examined the nails. Where they bent
the zinc peeled off revealing aluminum beneath. I also noted that
hammer blows caused the nail heads to shed some zinc in nails that did
not bend.

I've never seen nor heard of galvanized Al nails -- I suspect they're
simply a very soft steel import. What does the box say?

On the subject of nails I'm finding harder to get decent quality nails
any more, even from the "real" lumber or hardware stores.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:50:30 GMT, Davoud wrote:

What the ~!? I think these nails are sub-standard because they bend
easily and because the zinc can peel. They are not suitable for use in
today's pressure-treated lumber.

I use those for things like white vinyl siding and trim, as they won't
ever create rust streaks.

I don't think aluminum nails were ever intended for PT wood.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

Davoud wrote:

What the ~!? I think these nails are sub-standard because they bend
easily and because the zinc can peel. They are not suitable for use in
today's pressure-treated lumber.

Comments? Experiences?

From what you've said you're right, they're not suitable for use with
ACQ lumber.

Aluminum fasteners are not to be used.

Galvanized nails must meet the ASTM A-153 standard. This usually means
double hot dipped (at minimum).

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Davoud:
What the ~!? I think these nails are sub-standard because they bend
easily and because the zinc can peel. They are not suitable for use in
today's pressure-treated lumber.

B A R R Y:
I use those for things like white vinyl siding and trim, as they won't
ever create rust streaks.

I don't believe you would be using _these_ for that purpose; 50 or 60d
x 4-1/2 inches...

I don't think aluminum nails were ever intended for PT wood.

Yet these were sold for that purpose!

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Davoud:
I bought some hot-dipped galvanized nails ...
... After too many bent nails I examined the nails. Where they bent
the zinc peeled off revealing aluminum beneath. I also noted that
hammer blows caused the nail heads to shed some zinc in nails that did
not bend.

dpb:
I've never seen nor heard of galvanized Al nails -- I suspect they're
simply a very soft steel import. What does the box say?

Only that they are hot-dip galvanized. But they are, indeed, aluminum.

On the subject of nails I'm finding harder to get decent quality nails
any more, even from the "real" lumber or hardware stores.

Ain't it da truth!?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Davoud wrote:

I don't believe you would be using _these_ for that purpose; 50 or 60d
x 4-1/2 inches...

If Al, that sounds like a gutter nail...what the heck are you nailing w/
them?

A google found what I knew of--galvanized Al panel stock, but nary a
single hit of "galvanized" in combination w/ "Al" and "nail" except
where both Al and galvanized nails were referenced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 5, 7:01 pm, dpb wrote:
Davoud wrote:
I bought some hot-dipped galvanized nails ...
... After too many bent nails I examined the nails. Where they bent
the zinc peeled off revealing aluminum beneath. I also noted that
hammer blows caused the nail heads to shed some zinc in nails that did
not bend.

I've never seen nor heard of galvanized Al nails -- I suspect they're
simply a very soft steel import. What does the box say?

That can be checked with a magnet.

Aluminum is amphiprotic, that means it reacts with both bases
and acids. But because it naturally forms a very tough oxide
(saphire), pure aluminum is naturally corrosion resistant
to anything that cannot penetrate that oxide layer. Concentrated
Nitric acid is routinely shipped in aluminum vessels. But dilute
nitric acid would eat through them.

Anyhow, IIRC the copper compounds used in AQC treated lumber
will eat through the oxide and corrode aluminum. But unless I
am mistaken, it eats through zinc too,. The best metal to use
with AQC lumber woudl probably be bronze--very expensive.
Copper plated steel would be my. possibly naive, first choice.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
...The best metal to use
with AQC lumber woudl probably be bronze--very expensive.
Copper plated steel would be my. possibly naive, first choice.

SS or double-dipped hot galvanized are the recommended choices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 20:02:14 -0500, dpb wrote:

Davoud wrote:

I don't believe you would be using _these_ for that purpose; 50 or 60d
x 4-1/2 inches...

If Al, that sounds like a gutter nail...

I think Mr. DJB is right on the money!

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 2:53 pm, dpb wrote:
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

...The best metal to use
with AQC lumber woudl probably be bronze--very expensive.
Copper plated steel would be my. possibly naive, first choice.

SS or double-dipped hot galvanized are the recommended choices.

Ah yes, 304 or 316 SS would be good too.

--

FF