Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Galvanized round duct, can I substitute flex aluminum for part ofthe run?

I would like to shift some galvanized 6 inch round duct in a joist
space. I would like to splice in some 6 inch flex aluminum duct at each
end so the duct could be shifted one way or the other for some hi-hat
lights. Would doing so violate code or good practice?

Thank you for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

andy everett wrote:
I would like to shift some galvanized 6 inch round duct in a joist
space. I would like to splice in some 6 inch flex aluminum duct at
each end so the duct could be shifted one way or the other for some
hi-hat lights. Would doing so violate code or good practice?

Thank you for any help.

Bad practice in my opinion. No matter how you do it, it is going to
case some additional restriction. To reduce the restriction and possible
future problems, I suggest using a pair of elbows at each end.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"andy everett" wrote in message
newsU7sh.8$dk1.5@trndny03...
I would like to shift some galvanized 6 inch round duct in a joist space. I
would like to splice in some 6 inch flex aluminum duct at each end so the
duct could be shifted one way or the other for some hi-hat lights. Would
doing so violate code or good practice?

Thank you for any help.

I would stick with galvanized. Flex aluminum will add some flow restriction
if it's not completely expanded and look like a bad patch job. A couple six
inch collars cut and crimped wouldn't be that hard.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Andy,

I doubt the restriction mentioned by others would really amount to much
if you are just swooping around light fixtures. The drag induced by 4
elbows would probably be worse than that of the foil tube in a loop
around the light fitting.

By a "loop" I mean, cut an 18" long piece out of the solid duct.

Attach one end of the flexible to it.

Run the flexible past the fixture, then do a full loop around the
fixture and attach to the other end of the solid duct. Nice big radius
and quite low restriction overall.

Dave