Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does vinegar harm cement paving bricks?

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

I can say that based on three years of use, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Most likely, yes. It's a weak acid and will react with the cement and
possibly the aggregate. I'd try to find another solution. (intended)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:47:37 -0700, G Mulcaster
wrote:

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

I use vinegar to clean hard water stains off of cement block walls. We
have hard water -- calcium leaches into the block. It is mild, and
after a short soak and scrub I rinse it off. A power washer would
cause more damage.

["It’s easy to see why vinegar has been around for thousands of
years—it has 1001 uses! From cooking and cleaning with vinegar, to
gardening and home remedies, white distilled vinegar is one of the
most versatile—and economical—products you can have on hand."]

http://www.vinegartips.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:
G Mulcaster wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.
Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Most likely, yes. It's a weak acid and will react with the cement and
possibly the aggregate. I'd try to find another solution. (intended)

Hmmm,
Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 25, 6:08*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
snip
Hmmm,
Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Well, if it isn't acidic, then it isn't vinegar. Vinegar is a weak (~
5%) solution of acetic acid in water. Some types may have various
"flavourings" in addition, but it is the acid that makes it vinegar.

High school chemistry class strikes again!

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:27:54 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Orange is
acidic, lemon is not.

Ever get a squirt of lemon juice in your eye? It burns, thus acidic.

Watch out for paper cuts on the fingers and lemon juice...it burns
also!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"olddog" wrote in
:

Sorry but vinegar is acidic or it's not vinegar. BTW: Vinegar is more
acidic than acid rain. So, yes, eventually it will eat away at even
cement.

That will depend on the concentration of the acid. But it is rather well-
known that pure acetic acid (which by the way freezes at around 12 degrees
C, or around 53F IIRC) eats away stainless steel.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm fairly sure vinegar contains acetic acid. Which may very
well react wtih the paving.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mix some of that apple cider vinegar wtih baking soda. See
if it bubbles. I'd have to guess it does.

So, you add some more vinegar acid to your stomach, and the
natural acid protection kicks in. Proving what?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hmmm,
When you have a heart burn due to too much stomach acid;
acid refulux,
take some apple cider vinegar what happens? No heart burn!
You can tell
from taste whether it is acidic or alkaline. Another
example? Orange is
acidic, lemon is not.
Junior high science class strikes again!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Citrus fruit = citric acid.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
m...

Not so. All citrus has ascorbic acid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Orange is
acidic, lemon is not.

Ever get a squirt of lemon juice in your eye? It burns, thus acidic.

A strong base will also burn your eye.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All the chemists aside, I doubt the vinegar, used occasionally in this
manner, would be any more damaging than the normal pollutants in the air or
rain. If it's worked for 3 years with no noticeable impact you are probably
safe to continue.

"G Mulcaster" wrote in message
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
["It's easy to see why vinegar has been around for thousands of
years-it has 1001 uses! From cooking and cleaning with vinegar, to
gardening and home remedies, white distilled vinegar is one of the
most versatile-and economical-products you can have on hand."]

http://www.vinegartips.com/

Thanks for the useful link!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Probably, but maybe to an extent you would not notice. Vinegar on
limestone makes it bubble carbon dioxide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Does vinegar harm cement paving bricks?:

wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:08 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
snip
Hmmm,
Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Well, if it isn't acidic, then it isn't vinegar. Vinegar is a weak (~
5%) solution of acetic acid in water. Some types may have various
"flavourings" in addition, but it is the acid that makes it vinegar.

High school chemistry class strikes again!

Chris

Hmmm,
When you have a heart burn due to too much stomach acid; acid refulux,
take some apple cider vinegar what happens? No heart burn! You can tell
from taste whether it is acidic or alkaline. Another example? Orange is
acidic, lemon is not.
Junior high science class strikes again!!

Wow dude. You don't know sh*t about chemistry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

G Mulcaster wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Being acidic, it *does* attack them; however, weak as it is, it would take
many, many applications to notice anything.

You can kill the moss with a dilute solution of chlorox, don't know if it
does weeds too. Salt - table or rock - should do the weeds and keep them
out for a while once it is watered in, maybe moss too. And as a last
resort, there is always Round-Up

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:33:50 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

G Mulcaster wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Being acidic, it *does* attack them; however, weak as it is, it would take
many, many applications to notice anything.

You can kill the moss with a dilute solution of chlorox, don't know if it
does weeds too. Salt - table or rock - should do the weeds and keep them
out for a while once it is watered in, maybe moss too. And as a last
resort, there is always Round-Up

dadiOH

Why is Roundup a "last resort"? It's very safe stuff, and quickly
breaks down harmlessly after doing it's job. It's even approved for
use with food crops. The only caution on the most concentrated version
is that it is an eye irritant. Apparently it's safe to drink right out
of the bottle, as there are no cautions whatsoever against it.

Safer than Clorox.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

G Mulcaster wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Being acidic, it *does* attack them; however, weak as it is, it would take
many, many applications to notice anything.

You can kill the moss with a dilute solution of chlorox, don't know if it
does weeds too. Salt - table or rock - should do the weeds and keep them
out for a while once it is watered in, maybe moss too. And as a last
resort, there is always Round-Up

dadiOH

Salt or Chlorox are more hazardous than RoundUp. Salt is probably the
worse chemical to use if you are trying to protect nearby plants. Put
a layer of lime over moss to control it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"G Mulcaster" wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

You are using the wrong chemicals. Use glyphosphate for the weeds and a
zinc formula for the moss; both are available as a concentrate to be mixed
with water and applied in accordance with the instructions. Both are safe
if used appropriately.

Trying to use folksy home remedies is going to cause more problems in the
long run than just using the proper, modern solution the first time.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 10:19*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:08 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
*snip
Hmmm,
Organic vinegar such as apple cider vinegar is not acidic!

Well, if it isn't acidic, then it isn't vinegar. *Vinegar is a weak
(~ 5%) solution of acetic acid in water. *Some types may have various
"flavourings" in addition, but it is the acid that makes it vinegar.

High school chemistry class strikes again!

Chris

Hmmm,
When you have a heart burn due to too much stomach acid; acid refulux,
take some apple cider vinegar what happens? No heart burn! You can
tell from taste whether it is acidic or alkaline. Another example?
Orange is acidic, lemon is not.
Junior high science class strikes again!!

Vinegar is acidic. *Try testing with litmus paper. Or bicarbonate of soda.

Common sense prevails.

dadiOH- Hide quoted text -

Vinegar is not a pure substance and thus has no specific chemical
formula. Vinegar is mainly water (H2O), but is also comprised of
acetic acidic (the carboxylic acid which gives vinegar its pungent/
sour smell). Acetic acid's formula is CH3COOH. Vinegar is a liquid
produced by the fermentation of alcohol into acetic acid as well as
other fermentation by-products. The acetic acid concentration ranges
typically from 4 to 8 percent by volume for table vinegar (typically
5%) and higher concentrations for pickling (up to 18%) although in
some countries the minimum strength may be less. Natural vinegars also
contain smaller amounts of tartaric acid, citric acid, and other
acids.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Mark" wrote in
:

All the chemists aside, I doubt the vinegar, used occasionally in this
manner, would be any more damaging than the normal pollutants in the
air or rain. If it's worked for 3 years with no noticeable impact you
are probably safe to continue.

Possibly safe, but if used too often, accumulating acid may (I said may)
eventually cause harm to vegetation or concrete.
YMMV snicker

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 26, 11:27*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
"G Mulcaster" wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

You are using the wrong chemicals. *Use glyphosphate for the weeds and a
zinc formula for the moss; both are available as a concentrate to be mixed
with water and applied in accordance with the instructions. *Both are safe
if used appropriately.

Trying to use folksy home remedies is going to cause more problems in the
long run than just using the proper, modern solution the first time.

Jon

Also he could probably need some lime added to his yard. Sounds like
it may be acidic and the vinegar is just making it worse in the long
run. Yards in southern states are rarely too alkiline. When I moved
into my current home I had a soil test done to see how much lime I
needed. It was so acidic I had to spread a truck load on it , wait a
year then check again to see how much more I would need.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default let me add to thread

As a chemist who had to study German, I note that acetic acid is,
Essigsäure in German and Essig is the German name for vinegar.
Historically, I assume that as vinegar has been around forever, when the
German's started to develop their chemical talents and extracted acetic
acid from vinegar, they naturally called it vinegar acid. Similar
nomenclature evolved for formic acid (Ameisensäure) which is found in
ants (Ameise).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Frank wrote in news:gt4657$d4a$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

As a chemist who had to study German, I note that acetic acid is,
Essigsäure in German and Essig is the German name for vinegar.
Historically, I assume that as vinegar has been around forever, when the
German's started to develop their chemical talents and extracted acetic
acid from vinegar, they naturally called it vinegar acid. Similar
nomenclature evolved for formic acid (Ameisensäure) which is found in
ants (Ameise).

Same in Dutch:
Azijn is vinegar
Azijnzuur is acetic acid
Mier is ant
Mierezuur is formic acid

But the real point is that vinegar or dilute acetic acid solutions are
mild, but pure concentrated acetic acid is an aggressive acid, though not
an oxidant like sulfuric or nitric acids.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
[...]

Yes but for attacking cement, I don't know for sure. I do know that
muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) will attack cement and that no
oxidation is involved. Me, I would not use vinegar on cement to be on
the safe side. OP could run test and take a chip of brick and let sit
in vinegar.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Frank wrote in
:

Han wrote:
[...]

Brick is far from concrete. I don't think you can compare that.
Concrete is made with portland cement which is basic. Seems to me (but
I'm not really sure) that concrete would be slowly attacked by acid.
Muriatic acid is diluted hydrochloric acid (not concentrated, but I would
not drink it , while vinegar should be almost safe to drink - think
pickles). I think that muriatic acid etches concrete and cleans it for
instance for a repair, ensuring new concrete adheres properly.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:

Brick is far from concrete. I don't think you can compare that.
Concrete is made with portland cement which is basic. Seems to me
(but I'm not really sure) that concrete would be slowly attacked by
acid. Muriatic acid is diluted hydrochloric acid (not concentrated,
but I would not drink it , while vinegar should be almost safe to
drink - think pickles). I think that muriatic acid etches concrete
and cleans it for instance for a repair, ensuring new concrete
adheres properly.

Safety Hint: Don't drink the pickle juice until all the pickles are gone or,
if you do, wear goggles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Thanks to everyone for your responses. On balance, it would appear
that vinegar is not the solution to use.

Time to come up with a plan "B".

Regards, Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Thanks to everyone for your responses. *On balance, it would appear
that vinegar is not the solution to use.

Time to come up with a plan "B".

Regards, Gary

Vinegar wont hurt anything, it evaporates to quickly and changes from
acid to neutral its interaction, even Muriatic evaporates and looses
its efectivness fast, it doesnt have the time necessary to do anything
but clean the top layer. In stone cleaniing after 5 minutes with
muriatic I find its done its job its deactivated mostly so you wash it
off
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

G Mulcaster wrote in
:

wrote:

Over the last three years I've been spraying strength vinegar on my
cement based pavers to kill moss and weeds.

Works well; however, does vinegar harm cement based pavers?

Thanks, Gary

Thanks to everyone for your responses. On balance, it would appear
that vinegar is not the solution to use.

Time to come up with a plan "B".

Regards, Gary

Plan "B": Boiling water, just pour, but it should really be as close to
boiling as you can get it there.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
Frank wrote in
:

Han wrote:
[...]

OP said "cement paving brick". If it's same stuff I have in part of a
retaining wall and fireplace in family room, it's concrete cast in
individual brick form. In my case, these are white bricks and
impossible to get clean of fireplace soot.

Many years ago, I used muriatic acid for cleaning and etching basement
floor for painting. I'm sure a swabbing would just be neutralized and
this would hold for vinegar but a lot of acid would probably be corrosive.

Adding colour to bricks - can I use watered down cement? [email protected] UK diy 4 September 2nd 08 09:38 PM
Paving bricks - white deposits Terry Pinnell UK diy 4 May 23rd 08 07:19 AM
Can you remove cement off facing bricks Richard UK diy 12 January 3rd 08 11:41 PM
cement on bricks Frank Home Repair 3 June 6th 07 11:58 AM
How to stick tiles on bricks that were faced with Portland cement Hiring Home Repair 2 August 30th 04 04:42 PM