Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Carrier central ac

I have 3 central carrier hvac systems for my house. On the outside
condenser for one of them the fan has gotten quite noisy. In fact it was
initially frozen in the beginning of the season. I got it going again.
The fans motors are mounted upside down in the top of the unit so you can't
see whether there is a spot for oil without taking the top grill off. I
figured I would ask to see whether these fans take oil before I take it
apart. And before anyone asks me about maintenence..... they were all
checked out last year by a reputable HVAC company but if they take oil
apparently the guy didn't bother lubricating them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

I have 3 central carrier hvac systems for my house. On the outside
condenser for one of them the fan has gotten quite noisy. In fact it
was initially frozen in the beginning of the season. I got it going
again. The fans motors are mounted upside down in the top of the unit
so you can't see whether there is a spot for oil without taking the
top grill off. I figured I would ask to see whether these fans take
oil before I take it apart. And before anyone asks me about
maintenence..... they were all checked out last year by a reputable
HVAC company but if they take oil apparently the guy didn't bother
lubricating them.

I had a noisy fan on my AC unit several years ago and oiled it myself.
I didn't see any places to put oil in so I took the blade off and
dripped oil down the motor shaft and let it seep in for a few hours.
Neven made any more screeching noises.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
I have 3 central carrier hvac systems for my house. On the outside
condenser for one of them the fan has gotten quite noisy. In fact it was
initially frozen in the beginning of the season. I got it going again.
The fans motors are mounted upside down in the top of the unit so you
can't see whether there is a spot for oil without taking the top grill
off. I figured I would ask to see whether these fans take oil before I
take it apart. And before anyone asks me about maintenence..... they were
all checked out last year by a reputable HVAC company but if they take oil
apparently the guy didn't bother lubricating them.

They may or may not take oil. I had a Trane installed about 2 years ago
and the owners manual says the motors do not need oiling.

A friend had been paying for service for about 5 years and noticed the air
flow was very low. Turns out he had an electronic filter and while that
was getting serviced, someone had left in the old paper/fiber type filter
all those years. That thing was really clogged.

He is lucky no damage was done.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:35:26 -0400, "Art"
wrote:

I have 3 central carrier hvac systems for my house. On the outside
condenser for one of them the fan has gotten quite noisy. In fact it was
initially frozen in the beginning of the season. I got it going again.
The fans motors are mounted upside down in the top of the unit so you can't
see whether there is a spot for oil without taking the top grill off. I
figured I would ask to see whether these fans take oil before I take it
apart. And before anyone asks me about maintenence..... they were all
checked out last year by a reputable HVAC company but if they take oil
apparently the guy didn't bother lubricating them.

I doubt any hvac motors take oil anymore. It is likely time to
replace the motor. If you're lucky you can pull the motor and find a
parts place where the guy behind the counter knows his stuff and can
sell you something that'll work, even on a Saturday morning. The job
is quite simple, just be sure to get the blade on tight enough.

Need Recommendations on Central A/C Units (Carrier, Lennox or Trane?) No Way Home Repair 3 June 4th 07 10:24 PM
Carrier Central Air Problem fjodor Home Repair 1 June 3rd 07 04:03 AM
Carrier Central Air Problem [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 31st 07 02:00 AM
Old Carrier central AC Puddin' Man Home Repair 13 September 15th 05 08:10 AM
Carrier 38BR-030-3 Central AC Fix_House_Boy Home Repair 3 July 4th 03 09:50 PM