Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove paint from PVC pipe?

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

Coarser sandpaper... OR if the pipe was just painted over without prep,
you might have luck with hot water (as hot as you can stand) and a soft
scraper (think bondo spreader)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

I would just use a little coarser open coat sandpaper initially to break
through the paint and then follow up with finer paper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 3:10*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. *The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. *What is the best way to clean
the paint off? *I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

alcohol will soften latex, even booze. Cover it with a rag and soak it
for an hr or two

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far

Uh, sandpaper alone is useless. You have to mix it with elbow grease.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 4:36*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"MiamiCuse" wrote:
I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far

Uh, sandpaper alone is useless. You have to mix it with elbow grease.

I would use a wire brush or a wire wheel in an electroc drill
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The
pipe was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need
to clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is
the best way to clean the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did
not go very far,

Thanks,

Acetone?

Not good with PVC from recollection. T'was many years ago,1970s, when re
plumbing a 1920s house with PVC waste pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
:

On Apr 18, 3:10*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. *The pipe

as
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean
that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. *What is the best
way to

clean
the paint off? *I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

alcohol will soften latex, even booze. Cover it with a rag and soak it
for an hr or two

Mechanical suggestions are better but as far as chemicals, xylene is what's
in Goof-off. Then, there's regular old paint stripper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The
pipe was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need
to clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is
the best way to clean the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did
not go very far,

Thanks,

Acetone?

Acetone will definately disolve the PVC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

There are 80, 100, 150 and 220 grit sandpapers. I'd try the 100 grit
first.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The
pipe was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need
to clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is
the best way to clean the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did
not go very far,

Thanks,

Acetone?

Acetone will definately disolve the PVC.

Correct. Solvents that remove paint will attack PVC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

Paint remover will soften paint almost instantaneously. If removed as
soon as the paint wrinkles up, it probably won't soften the PVC. Fine
steel wool for final clean-up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. *The
pipe was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need
to clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. *What is
the best way to clean the paint off? *I tried sandpaper and that did
not go very far,

Thanks,

Acetone?

Acetone will definately disolve the PVC.

Correct. *Solvents that remove paint will attack PVC.- Hide quoted text -

Not alcohol, alcohol will make it just peel off .

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Brake fluid eats paint, leaves most plastics alone, even styrofoam.
I used some to remove the paint from my Ford wheel covers made of an
ABS-lexan blend.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in
:

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe
was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to
clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the
best way to clean the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not
go very far,

Brake fluid eats paint, leaves most plastics alone, even styrofoam.

Makes sense since many brake fluid parts are plastic. There are so many
plastics though. Can be impervious to one plastic and liquify another.

If OP does try this, wear safety glasses. This is one time you really
need them! I'm told it's one of the most damaging fluids you can get in
your eyes. It sucks the water out of what it comes in contact with, aka
brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

I used some to remove the paint from my Ford wheel covers made of an
ABS-lexan blend.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Apr 19, 7:11*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

It sucks the water out of what it comes in contact with, aka
brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Correction: 'hygroscopic'. You're welcome. G

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in news:8491bb8c-0f84-4a1d-b6f3-41e107c3afd2
@k2g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

On Apr 19, 7:11*pm, Red Green wrote:

snip

It sucks the water out of what it comes in contact with, aka
brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

Correction: 'hygroscopic'. You're welcome. G

Joe

Well, either way, it still sucks. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 18, 2009 at 1:10:18 PM UTC-7, MiamiCuse wrote:
I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe was
previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to clean that
paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the best way to clean
the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not go very far,

Thanks,

MC

I use a file, cleaning the file whenever the paint buildup in the grooves reduces cleaning ability. So far I haven't found anything more efficient or cost effective.