Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How to remove paint from PVC pipe?

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in
:

MiamiCuse wrote:

I have a section of PVC pipe I need to put a ball valve in. The pipe
was previously painted (I believe water based paint) and I need to
clean that paint off so I can apply PVC primer and glue. What is the
best way to clean the paint off? I tried sandpaper and that did not
go very far,

Brake fluid eats paint, leaves most plastics alone, even styrofoam.

Makes sense since many brake fluid parts are plastic. There are so many
plastics though. Can be impervious to one plastic and liquify another.

If OP does try this, wear safety glasses. This is one time you really
need them! I'm told it's one of the most damaging fluids you can get in
your eyes. It sucks the water out of what it comes in contact with, aka
brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water).

I used some to remove the paint from my Ford wheel covers made of an
ABS-lexan blend.