Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I remove paint from plastic?

I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 11:58 am, "Paul Berezansky" wrote:
I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

Try a weaker paint remover like Citri-strip. Or try sanding off the
rest of the paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 11:58 am, "Paul Berezansky" wrote:
I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

try a little bit of lye based oven cleaner, but spray it onto a plate
and apply it with a brush, nasty stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul Berezansky" wrote in
ups.com:

I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

paint is normally removed from plastics with bead or nutshell blasting.
you would have to remove the case from the laptop for this.

Avoid using acetone on plastics.

IIRC,there's a hobby stripper specifically for removing paint from
plastics,Micro-Mark carries it.I can't recall the brand name.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Try a weaker paint remover like Citri-strip. Or try sanding off the
rest of the paint.

DO NOT sand it. Sanding will make it look like crap. If acetone damages
the plastic, it is probably in hte styrene family and any of the acetones
and lacquer thinners will damage it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Berezansky wrote:
I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

Ordinary DOT 3 grade brake fluid will remove paint without harming
plastic at all, but it takes time to work. It can even take paint off
styrofoam without affecting the styrofoam (many cars have a styrofoam
float in their brake fluid reservior).

Sanding the plastic with #600 or finer American sandpaper can remove
paint without scratching the plastic much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Feb 2007 01:06:39 -0800, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

Paul Berezansky wrote:
I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

Ordinary DOT 3 grade brake fluid will remove paint without harming
plastic at all, but it takes time to work. It can even take paint off
styrofoam without affecting the styrofoam (many cars have a styrofoam
float in their brake fluid reservior).

Styrofoam? Are you sure it's not some other kind of foam?
*ALL* the petroleum products that I know off dissolve
styrofoam. Hell, even orange oil dissolves styrofoam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in
oups.com:

Paul Berezansky wrote:
I have a laptop which has silver paint on the edges. It looked really
nice when it was new, but now the paint is being worn off. I want to
just remove the paint that is left over.

I tried Acetone, but it seems to dissolve the plastic along with the
paint. Is there something else that would work?

Ordinary DOT 3 grade brake fluid will remove paint without harming
plastic at all, but it takes time to work. It can even take paint off
styrofoam without affecting the styrofoam (many cars have a styrofoam
float in their brake fluid reservior).

Sanding the plastic with #600 or finer American sandpaper can remove
paint without scratching the plastic much.

does the sandpaper have to be American? ;-)

(seems a 600+ grit paper would clog up very fast;wet sand?)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik