Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

Default Remove Calcium from pipe

Cu plumping is getting pretty clogged up with calcium buildup otherwise the
pipes are in good shape. I have remove and replaced a few sections for
inspection and the test sections were like new after the deposits were
removed. IS there a way to chemically or by other means to unclog them. I
used CLR to clean the test pieces. I would gladly spend $1k on CLR if I
thought this would do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmie D wrote:
Cu plumping is getting pretty clogged up with calcium buildup

An acid would eat the Ca buildup. I don't know if vinegar is strong
enough, but I'd buy a gallon of cheap vinegar and try it. Let it sit
for a while if possible - i.e. don't flush it with too much water right
away.
If this doesn't work, I'm not sure what types of commercial products
are stronger acids (Draino etc. are basic). If you have a friend who
works in a biology or chemistry lab they might be able to hook you up
with some HCl.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take the vinegar and heat it up, as hot as you can get it, before using
it. I've microwaved the bottle before using it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

wrote in message
oups.com...
Take the vinegar and heat it up, as hot as you can get it, before using
it. I've microwaved the bottle before using it.

Tried the vinegar and it works, sort of. The trouble seems to be that there
is so much calcium that it quickly neutalises it. It would take a lot of
vinegar to clean the pipes. Found that a couple of tablespoons of HCl
(muriatic acid)disolved in 10 gal of water gives a solution that is about 4
times more acidic than the vinegar. I plan on giving this a try. I also
learned I could mix a solution of one gal of muriatic acid to 10 gal of
water it get a reasonably safe to use solution. Reasonably safe means if you
got some on your skin you could just rinse it off with no problems but you
wouldnt want to leave it there very long and you defintely wouldnt want to
get it in your eyes. Having never done this befoer and I dont think anyone
else has either I will will try various concentrations of acid probably
starting with about 4 tablespoon of acid to the 10 gal of water.