Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Header span

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12' 8". I
have a header span table and it indicates that the maximum span for a 4" X
12" header is 12'. The header is only going to support the 10' long
ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above). If I increase the header
to a 6" X 12" will this work for a 12' 8" span? Or will I need an LVL.
IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12'
8". I have a header span table and it indicates that the maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above).
If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for a 12' 8"
span? Or will I need an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

Check your header span tables for the maximum span for a 4x12 header.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

bmancanfly had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...an-368681-.htm :

-------------------------------------
SteveBell wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12'
8". I have a header span table and it indicates that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above).
If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for
a 12' 8"
span? Or will I need an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

Check your header span tables for the maximum span for a 4x12 header.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I span a 12' 8" opening?

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12'
8". I have a header span table and it indicates that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor
above). If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for
a 12' 8"
span? Or will I need an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

Check your header span tables for the maximum span for a 4x12
header.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I span a 12' 8" opening?

If I were doin' it, I would:

* Build a temporary wall to support the ceiling. You'll probably need
one for each side.
* Demolish the existing wall, leaving the top plate in place.
* Build a typical header support at each side of the opening--two jack
studs and a king stud nailed together.
* Build a beam out of two 158" long 2" by 12"[1] boards with 1/2" OSB
in between to make it 3.5" wide. Make sure the crown is up on both
boards.
* Get two buddies, maybe three, to help me hoist this monster up to the
top of my header supports, then nail it in place.
* Install the cripple studs between the top of the header and the top
plate.
* Remove the temporary walls.
* Install wallboard, trim, tape, bed, texture, and paint.

[1] Don't rely on me for the proper dimension. Consult an architect or
engineer.

[2] Your local code may require something different. Check first.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

(bmancanfly) wrote in
:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12' 8".
I have a header span table and it indicates that the maximum span for
a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only going to support the 10'
long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above). If I increase the
header to a 6" X 12" will this work for a 12' 8" span? Or will I need
an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF THE LVL BE? Thanks in
advance

-------------------------------------

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I know very little about spans but I did have some dealings with truss
repairing. In that venture I did learn that different types of wood, say
SYP vs spruce vs douglas fir have different strengths like tensile,
tension, etc. It may be possible to simply use a different lumber than
what's available at the Borg. Check your table for what the spec was for
lumber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:06*pm,
(bmancanfly) wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. *The neW opening will be 12'
8". *I have a header span table and it indicates that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. *The header is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above).
If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for
a 12' 8"
span? *Or will I need an LVL. *IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? *Thanks in advance

I guess what I'm asking is how do I span a 12' 8" opening?

People post such questions and often believe they are providing
sufficient information. They rarely are. You've addressed
dimensions, but not loads, and that is critical to answer any
structural question.

You have a ceiling, which makes the space above an attic.
Is that attic space now used for storage? Will it be?
Did the original builders, or later remuddlers, decide to piggyback
some of the roof load onto that interior wall?
How do you plan to deal with the increased point loads at either end
of the new beam?
You mentioned 10' ceiling joists - is that 10' on each side or 10'
total?

For an accessible attic space, whether you use it for storage or not,
you should allow some load in your calculations - say 20 pounds per
square foot. That's the Live Load, and it's not much as one box of
books easily exceeds 20 PSF.

The Dead Load, or weight of the structure itself, is generally in the
10 to 15 PSF range.

If somebody did piggyback some of the roof load onto the interior wall
(you'll see near-to-vertical framing between the roof and the interior
wall location below), then you will have to add some of the roof loads
(Snow, Wind, Dead Loads) to your calculation.

The Total Load is the sum of the the Live, Dead and Roof Loads.

The contributory area is the area that will add load to your new
beam. Generally that is half of the span on each side. If your house
is 20' wide, the beam in the middle will pick up half of the load on
each floor joist from each side, multiplied by the length of the beam.

The last piece of information you will need is the desired stiffness
of the new beam. If you have plaster ceilings you will need a stiffer
beam to minimize cracking due to beam deflection. Generally 1/360 is
a good compromise and that reflects a deflection of about .42" over
your 12' 8" span (many people would choose a stiffer beam with less
deflection).

You now have enough information to contact your local lumberyard/LVL
purveyor and ask them to size the beam for you. This is a free
service. They will plug in your numbers and their proprietary
software will crunch the numbers for your specific situation and their
specific products.

Ask them specifically what the beam end reactions are and how many
supporting 2x4s you will need to carry the beam at each end. You will
need at least two.

If you go with LVLs you will probably need, at a minimum, two 1.75" x
9.25". Remember that a beam gets far stiffer with increases in height
(depth) - changes in width have relatively less impact on stiffness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bmancanfly had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...an-368757-.htm :

Thanks for the reply Rico

I was planning on getting a 3.5" X 12" LVL. Since a dimensional beam
could handle a 12' span I figured an LVL of the same dimensions could
easily handle 12' 8" .

I tried getting the local home center to help me figure the exact
dimensions that I would need but they wern't very helpful.
-------------------------------------
RicodJour wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:06=A0pm,
(bmancanfly) wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. =A0The neW opening
will be 12'
8". =A0I have a header span table and it indicates
that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. =A0The header
is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or
floor above).
If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this
work for
a 12' 8"
span? =A0Or will I need an LVL. =A0IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE
DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? =A0Thanks in advance

[...]

Load Span table -- 14-foot span BETA-32[_2_] Home Repair 24 January 13th 08 07:15 PM
Shelf span rolsonDesign Woodworking 5 February 22nd 07 12:00 AM
Shelving span advice? John Sellers Woodworking 4 May 25th 06 05:28 PM
2x4 weight/span [email protected] Home Repair 11 December 5th 05 10:04 PM
23 foot span Ken Korona Home Repair 12 November 28th 05 03:55 AM