Posted to alt.home.repair
bmancanfly bmancanfly is offline

Default Header span

bmancanfly had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...an-368681-.htm :

-------------------------------------
SteveBell wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12'
8". I have a header span table and it indicates that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above).
If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for
a 12' 8"
span? Or will I need an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

Check your header span tables for the maximum span for a 4x12 header.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I span a 12' 8" opening?