Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Header span

(bmancanfly) wrote in
:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12' 8".
I have a header span table and it indicates that the maximum span for
a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only going to support the 10'
long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor above). If I increase the
header to a 6" X 12" will this work for a 12' 8" span? Or will I need
an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF THE LVL BE? Thanks in
advance

Delivered via
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

I know very little about spans but I did have some dealings with truss
repairing. In that venture I did learn that different types of wood, say
SYP vs spruce vs douglas fir have different strengths like tensile,
tension, etc. It may be possible to simply use a different lumber than
what's available at the Borg. Check your table for what the spec was for
lumber.