Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Header span

bmancanfly had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...an-368681-.htm

SteveBell wrote:

I'm opening a wall between two rooms. The neW opening will be 12'
8". I have a header span table and it indicates that the
maximum
span for a 4" X 12" header is 12'. The header is only
going to
support the 10' long ceiling joists above (no roof or floor
above). If I increase the header to a 6" X 12" will this work for
a 12' 8"
span? Or will I need an LVL. IF SO WHAT SHOULD THE DIMENSIONS OF
THE LVL BE? Thanks in advance

Check your header span tables for the maximum span for a 4x12
header.

I guess what I'm asking is how do I span a 12' 8" opening?

If I were doin' it, I would:

* Build a temporary wall to support the ceiling. You'll probably need
one for each side.
* Demolish the existing wall, leaving the top plate in place.
* Build a typical header support at each side of the opening--two jack
studs and a king stud nailed together.
* Build a beam out of two 158" long 2" by 12"[1] boards with 1/2" OSB
in between to make it 3.5" wide. Make sure the crown is up on both
boards.
* Get two buddies, maybe three, to help me hoist this monster up to the
top of my header supports, then nail it in place.
* Install the cripple studs between the top of the header and the top
plate.
* Remove the temporary walls.
* Install wallboard, trim, tape, bed, texture, and paint.

[1] Don't rely on me for the proper dimension. Consult an architect or
engineer.

[2] Your local code may require something different. Check first.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement