Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone made or considered a very low cost Underground Storm Shelter ? Need some advice.

wrote in message
Ive researched many professionally made Fiberglass/Concrete/Metal
underground storm shelters but the cost is prohibitive..usually well
over $3500.00 . Id like to sink some kind of a waterproof box that
would fit one adult ... approx. 3 feet into the ground , located in
the corner of my garage which currently is very sandy soil. The box
would need to have a removable/swing down lid with the top 6" of the
box above ground level. The top would need to be well secured from
within the box once the person is inside. To ensure it remains water
proof, i would line the hole with a double layer of thick plastic
sheeting.

Ive tried doing a google search under 'Fiberglass Boxes' and 'Cargo
Boxes' and cannot find something suitable. I have considered a thick
fiberglass auto cargo carrier if i could find one 6' long by 3'
wide . Do you have any idea what I could use as a low cost
solution ? Looking to get away with spending no more than a few
hundred dollars at most. Thanks much.

Two things to consider: One, this thing is going to be used to save your
life. Make it as cheap as you can with as flimsy materials as you can find.
Two, you may have to spend several hours in there, so make it cramped, wet,
dark, dirty, mouldy, and smelly.

That shouldn't cost a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:22:12 -0700, "maynard" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Have a septic tank manufacturer nearby? They all occaisionally make a
"leaker" - the concrete doesn't completely fill in one of the corners
etc. They generally have to break them up and scrap them, or sell them
to someone to use as a "bunker"
Bury one and install a larger access hatch and you are all set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:22*am, "maynard" wrote:
wrote in message

Ive researched many professionally made Fiberglass/Concrete/Metal
underground storm shelters but the cost is prohibitive..usually well
over $3500.00 *. * Id like to sink some kind of a waterproof box that
would fit one adult ... approx. 3 feet into the ground , located in
the corner of my garage which currently is very sandy soil. *The box
would need to have a removable/swing down lid with *the top 6" of the
box above ground level. The top would need to be well secured from
within the box once the person is inside. *To ensure it remains water
proof, i would line the hole with a double layer of thick plastic
sheeting.

Ive tried doing a google search under 'Fiberglass Boxes' *and 'Cargo
Boxes' *and cannot find something suitable. *I have considered a thick
fiberglass auto cargo carrier if i could find one 6' long by 3'

Dowide . * Do you have any idea what I could use as a low cost
solution *? *Looking to get away with spending no more than a few
hundred dollars at most. Thanks much.

Two things to consider: *One, this thing is going to be used to save your
life. *Make it as cheap as you can with as flimsy materials as you can find.
Two, you may have to spend several hours in there, so make it cramped, wet,
dark, dirty, mouldy, and smelly.

That shouldn't cost a lot.- Hide quoted text -

Doesnt matter if i loose my life ; I know the Lord Jesus Christ in a
personal way. I hope you know and love him too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 4:59*pm, " wrote:
Snipped BS

This isn't alt.home.biblethumpin'morons, Fool
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

that makes sense, but a) couldn't you patch the flaw and b) if it
leaked, it wouldn't be a very comfortable bunker, would it?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 20:50:40 -0400, Nate Nagel

wrote in message
[...]

Patched won't meet standards for septic tank, so you patch it and use
it for a bunker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

Sitting in a soggy bunker is still preferable to being ballistically
extruded through a chain link fence...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

right, but if I lived somewhere where I felt I needed a bunker, I'd try
to make it somewhat habitable.

Actually, what I would probably do is build the bunker right behind the
house under a patio so it could be accessed from a door through the
basement wall... then when not in use as a bunker it could be an office,
workroom, emergency bedroom, whatever. that way it gets cleaned
regularly, doesn't get musty, etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

In tornado alley we don't typically have basements (no frost line, high
water table). In my case, I've got enough of a hill that I can bury a
container behind the house and do a perimeter drain at the base with a
drain sloped to come out down by my pond. Common around here are pre-fab
mostly buried concrete bunkers, but they're small and I want a
comfortable one I can proactively retreat to. The excuse to rent a big
excavator is a plus too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Pete C. wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

The difference between men and boys is the size of their toys!

Have fun.

Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Actually, what I would probably do is build the bunker right behind the
house under a patio so it could be accessed from a door through the
basement wall... then when not in use as a bunker it could be an office,
workroom, emergency bedroom, whatever. that way it gets cleaned regularly,
doesn't get musty, etc.

nate

And with the addition of a bullet proof door and a phone line, you've got
what is more likely to be needed, "a safe room" to guard against a home
invasion. Easier to get to in a hurry than a room buried in the back yard.

Tom G

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom G wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

Actually, what I would probably do is build the bunker right behind the
house under a patio so it could be accessed from a door through the
basement wall... then when not in use as a bunker it could be an office,
workroom, emergency bedroom, whatever. that way it gets cleaned regularly,
doesn't get musty, etc.

nate

And with the addition of a bullet proof door and a phone line, you've got
what is more likely to be needed, "a safe room" to guard against a home
invasion. Easier to get to in a hurry than a room buried in the back yard.

Tom G

There was a home invasion up in Oklahoma late last year. The invader
burst in with the dreaded "AK47" (AKM or SKS really) assault rifle...
and was shot and killed by the occupants of the home. It of course
didn't make the national media since it doesn't support the agenda of
most of the media.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

There was a home invasion up in Oklahoma late last year. The invader
burst in with the dreaded "AK47" (AKM or SKS really) assault rifle...
and was shot and killed by the occupants of the home. It of course
didn't make the national media since it doesn't support the agenda of
most of the media.

Heh! If you follow the national news (as is done on the tx.guns newsgroup or
in NRA publications), you'll see at least one episode a week of the exact
same thing that happened in Oklahoma.

Here's a defensive gun use from Tuesday:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/lo...eNCQy8Vog.cspx

Here's a home invasion from yesterday where the perp was shot
http://www.cbs12.com/news/says_47169...myth_home.html

Here's another from the week befo
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bre...ry/656107.html

Home invaders are shot with some regularity by the residents. Sadly, there
are many more successful "kick and rob" events than there are those that are
foiled by gunfire. This ratio may change as more and more folks embrace
firearms. Remember the adage:

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!"

And my personal motto: "If you don't know what it is, kill it." (which works
equally well for both weeds in the yard and strangers in my bedroom)