Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Has anyone made or considered a very low cost Underground StormShelter? Need some advice.

Pete C. wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:22:12 -0700, "maynard" wrote:

wrote in message
Ive researched many professionally made Fiberglass/Concrete/Metal
underground storm shelters but the cost is prohibitive..usually well
over $3500.00 . Id like to sink some kind of a waterproof box that
would fit one adult ... approx. 3 feet into the ground , located in
the corner of my garage which currently is very sandy soil. The box
would need to have a removable/swing down lid with the top 6" of the
box above ground level. The top would need to be well secured from
within the box once the person is inside. To ensure it remains water
proof, i would line the hole with a double layer of thick plastic
sheeting.

Ive tried doing a google search under 'Fiberglass Boxes' and 'Cargo
Boxes' and cannot find something suitable. I have considered a thick
fiberglass auto cargo carrier if i could find one 6' long by 3'
wide . Do you have any idea what I could use as a low cost
solution ? Looking to get away with spending no more than a few
hundred dollars at most. Thanks much.

Two things to consider: One, this thing is going to be used to save your
life. Make it as cheap as you can with as flimsy materials as you can find.
Two, you may have to spend several hours in there, so make it cramped, wet,
dark, dirty, mouldy, and smelly.

That shouldn't cost a lot.

Have a septic tank manufacturer nearby? They all occaisionally make a
"leaker" - the concrete doesn't completely fill in one of the corners
etc. They generally have to break them up and scrap them, or sell them
to someone to use as a "bunker"
Bury one and install a larger access hatch and you are all set.

that makes sense, but a) couldn't you patch the flaw and b) if it
leaked, it wouldn't be a very comfortable bunker, would it?

Sitting in a soggy bunker is still preferable to being ballistically
extruded through a chain link fence...

right, but if I lived somewhere where I felt I needed a bunker, I'd try
to make it somewhat habitable.

Actually, what I would probably do is build the bunker right behind the
house under a patio so it could be accessed from a door through the
basement wall... then when not in use as a bunker it could be an office,
workroom, emergency bedroom, whatever. that way it gets cleaned
regularly, doesn't get musty, etc.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.