Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trailer Sucks In Dirt - How to Check?

OK, I need some innovative ideas from the esteemed members of this
group.

I've got a 1995 6 x 8 Haulmark trailer. Double doors in the rear, no
side door or roof vent.

Over the past few months it has been sucking in road dirt and getting
the contents all dusty. After just a few hours of use - highways and
surface streets, no dirt roads - there is enough dirt on the floor to
warrant sweeping it out. I don't know if the dirt is coming in from
the top or just blowing around inside the trailer, but it's not
limited to the floor area. I have shelves in the trailer and the dirt
is even on the upper shelves.

I have closed myself up in the trailer and had a friend shine a bright
light along all the seams but I don't see any holes. I've hosed the
trailer down but never found any water in the trailer. There are thin
plywood walls inside the trailer so it could be coming in from behind
the walls and blowing up or down around them.

I'm considering putting a huge fan inside and see if I can feel the
air blowing out.

Anybody have any other ideas - besides being in the trailer when it's
doing 60 down the highway?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , DerbyDad03 wrote:

Anybody have any other ideas - besides being in the trailer when it's
doing 60 down the highway?

Toss one of these in the trailer?

http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/co...-grenade-1.cfm

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 17, 2:18*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If you don't mind paying for it, the better auto body shops have smoke
generators to test car door seals after repairs. You get results
pretty quickly. A bee smoker from your local farm supply store is a
low cost generator if you want to go that route. The tricky part will
be rigging things so you have actual smoky air flow to look for
outside, since a static test probably won't do much.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Besides the other comments - the trailer configuration is going to create a
low pressure area behind the trailer and this could bow doors and windows
enough to suck in dirt but not be evident when the trailer isn't in motion.
There is also a low pressure over the top of the trailer so if you have a
roof vent it could lift and allow air movement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

Besides the other comments - the trailer configuration is going to create
a low pressure area behind the trailer and this could bow doors and
windows enough to suck in dirt but not be evident when the trailer isn't
in motion. There is also a low pressure over the top of the trailer so if
you have a roof vent it could lift and allow air movement.

That would be my guess. I'd look at putting some sort of spoiler or airfoil
on the back edge of the roof or hang those full width mud flaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

My H&H has a small scoop type vent on the left side near the front top.
It puts a positive pressure on the inside to prevent dust. The
previous owner told me about it. I was skeptical. LO AND BEHOLD, it
works! We travel gravel roads every day to our work, and there isn't a
speck of dust in that trailer. I can't believe it myself. I'll see if
there's a name on the vent tomorrow. Perhaps i could email a pic.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 10:27*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"JimR" wrote in message

Besides the other comments - the trailer configuration is going to create
a low pressure area behind the trailer and this could bow doors and
windows enough to suck in dirt but not be evident when the trailer isn't
in motion. There is also a low pressure over the top of the trailer so if
you have a roof vent it could lift and allow air movement.

That would be my guess. *I'd look at putting some sort of spoiler or airfoil
on the back edge of the roof or hang those full width mud flaps.

Thanks for the suggestion warped doors and spoilers.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my OP, but this is a new problem. I've had
the trailer for 6 years and I'm very good friends with the original
owner (bought new in 1995). This dust issue has only been happening
for the last 6 - 7 months.

I'm not saying that a spoiler won't help, but it seems to me that
something must have changed e.g. a leaky seam or something.

Still, I'll look at the weather stripping around the rear doors. There
is no roof vent, windows or side door so if the dirt isn't coming in
around the doors, there's some other issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Never seen such an animal up close, but wheel wells and frame fasteners
would be my first thought...a very small hole can allow a lot of dust to
enter. Checked the undercarriage? Caulked seams? Is there enough flex
in the frame so that a leak may open when loaded and under way, but not
be visible when standing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

How about using a water hose spraying the doors and seams on the outside
with someone inside to look for leaks?
If no success, reverse the procedure, using the hose inside with someone
outside. Of course, with the door open to allow the hose in, you could
only check the seams.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

-snip-
If you don't mind paying for it, the better auto body shops have smoke
generators to test car door seals after repairs. You get results
pretty quickly.

My 3 stall local mechanic has a smoker.

A bee smoker from your local farm supply store is a
low cost generator if you want to go that route. The tricky part will
be rigging things so you have actual smoky air flow to look for
outside, since a static test probably won't do much.

He checked a trunk leak for me once. Regular charge for 1/2 hr.. He
smoked from the outside with his little helper in the trunk. He
mentioned another style smoker that has an electronic sniffer and is
much more sensitive.

The positive pressure hood that Steve mentioned sounds promising,
though.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

I've had that trouble with all sorts of hauling vehicles with tailgates
over the years. Gasket gets tired, latch doesn't keep it snugged up,
and road travel makes a big low-pressure area in the back. (That is why
you always open a front window driving a car with the tailgate down.)
Just for giggles, try sealing all the trailer door seams with packaging
tape from the dollar store before your next road use, and see if that
makes any difference. If there is even a minor air leak in the front end
of trailer that only opens up at road speed or when things flex, the low
pressure will suck the dust cloud behind the trailer right inside. And
try driving down a dusty dirt road for the test- the entry path should
leave a clear trail.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the response. As I said in my OP...

"I've hosed the trailer down but never found any water in the
trailer."

Hosing the trailer down from the inside would be a very bad idea.
Wooden walls, linoleum floor (slightly curled up at the edge), mounted
shelves, etc. Water would get everywhere and take forever to dry out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

1) Did you spray water from the under side?
2) Tape the inside corners/seams with clear packaging tape. If the seam
leaks then it should collect dirt and/or blow loose and be easy to see.
3) I wonder if placing some dry ice in the middle of the floor and closing
the door would show the leak? (Not too sure about this one.)

Cheers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimR" wrote in message

[...]

I'll give the tape a try - where I can. Since the inside is paneled in
most areas, I can't get to all the seams, but I may be able to place
tape in strategic locations above the wall openings to see if I can
narrow it down.

But wait...If I seal the seams with tape I'll alter the airflow and
the test might show nothing, proving nothing. ;-)

I didn't spray water from the under side, but I did do a worklight
test - worklight outside, me inside, where it was very, very dark!

I will try a hose.