Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_2_] Steve Barker[_2_] is offline

Default Trailer Sucks In Dirt - How to Check?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
OK, I need some innovative ideas from the esteemed members of this
group.

I've got a 1995 6 x 8 Haulmark trailer. Double doors in the rear, no
side door or roof vent.

Over the past few months it has been sucking in road dirt and getting
the contents all dusty. After just a few hours of use - highways and
surface streets, no dirt roads - there is enough dirt on the floor to
warrant sweeping it out. I don't know if the dirt is coming in from
the top or just blowing around inside the trailer, but it's not
limited to the floor area. I have shelves in the trailer and the dirt
is even on the upper shelves.

I have closed myself up in the trailer and had a friend shine a bright
light along all the seams but I don't see any holes. I've hosed the
trailer down but never found any water in the trailer. There are thin
plywood walls inside the trailer so it could be coming in from behind
the walls and blowing up or down around them.

I'm considering putting a huge fan inside and see if I can feel the
air blowing out.

Anybody have any other ideas - besides being in the trailer when it's
doing 60 down the highway?

My H&H has a small scoop type vent on the left side near the front top.
It puts a positive pressure on the inside to prevent dust. The
previous owner told me about it. I was skeptical. LO AND BEHOLD, it
works! We travel gravel roads every day to our work, and there isn't a
speck of dust in that trailer. I can't believe it myself. I'll see if
there's a name on the vent tomorrow. Perhaps i could email a pic.

steve