Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Trailer Sucks In Dirt - How to Check?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Mar 17, 10:27 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"JimR" wrote in message

Besides the other comments - the trailer configuration is going to create
a low pressure area behind the trailer and this could bow doors and
windows enough to suck in dirt but not be evident when the trailer isn't
in motion. There is also a low pressure over the top of the trailer so if
you have a roof vent it could lift and allow air movement.

That would be my guess. I'd look at putting some sort of spoiler or airfoil
on the back edge of the roof or hang those full width mud flaps.

Thanks for the suggestion warped doors and spoilers.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my OP, but this is a new problem. I've had
the trailer for 6 years and I'm very good friends with the original
owner (bought new in 1995). This dust issue has only been happening
for the last 6 - 7 months.

I'm not saying that a spoiler won't help, but it seems to me that
something must have changed e.g. a leaky seam or something.

Still, I'll look at the weather stripping around the rear doors. There
is no roof vent, windows or side door so if the dirt isn't coming in
around the doors, there's some other issue.

I've had that trouble with all sorts of hauling vehicles with tailgates
over the years. Gasket gets tired, latch doesn't keep it snugged up,
and road travel makes a big low-pressure area in the back. (That is why
you always open a front window driving a car with the tailgate down.)
Just for giggles, try sealing all the trailer door seams with packaging
tape from the dollar store before your next road use, and see if that
makes any difference. If there is even a minor air leak in the front end
of trailer that only opens up at road speed or when things flex, the low
pressure will suck the dust cloud behind the trailer right inside. And
try driving down a dusty dirt road for the test- the entry path should
leave a clear trail.

--
aem sends....