Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electronic pest repellents - how do they work?

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike S. wrote:
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

Andy comments:
Well, if you had ants in the kitchen and the buzzing made YOU
leave the kitchen and go into another room, you weren't around
the ants anymore....

That's the only explanation I can come up with to support the
product.

I haven't found anyone supporting the product other than the
people who manufacture them and the people who sell them....

Around here we have scorpions who come into the house and
eat all the ants and crickets. NOTHING repels scorpions...... You
just gotta learn to live in your environment... :))))

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 5:09*am, "Mike S." wrote:
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

They work they keep you away, just kidding. The bugs and mice get used
to them in about 5 minutes. In my opinion they are a scam and waste of
electricity and money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 7:32*am, ransley wrote:
On Mar 16, 5:09*am, "Mike S." wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

They work they keep you away, just kidding. The bugs and mice get used
to them in about 5 minutes. In my opinion they are a scam and waste of
electricity and money.

Dittos. Waste of electricity and money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 16, 6:09*am, "Mike S." wrote:
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work?

By attracting money from bank account A to bank account B.

They are, without exception, completely worthless for their advertised
purpose/s.
http://www.livingwithbugs.com/electron.html
http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_...?cat=21&id=267
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/05/fyi0128.shtm
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

They send out sound at frequencies that are suppose to be above the range of
human hearing. As people age usually the hearing range decreases. It tops
out around 20,000 Hz for most young people. Some can hear higher and you may
be one of them. The older CRT TV sets put out a very high pitch sound. Can
you hear it ? It is around 15,700 hz. The crt computer monitors are about
double that at 31,500 . Unlikely anyone will hear that. Dogs can hear
higher frequencies and that is how the silent dog whistles work. Other
animals can hear higher frequencies yet.
They are suppose to make enough noise to make the animals leave the area
just as loud noise would make you want to leave.
There are portable units you hook on your belt to keep the mosquitoes away.
Not sure about them,but I have not seen the mice stay away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear.

Send the doubters here-
http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/
These folks are selling security systems based on frequencies only
young folks can hear.

Jim
[on the critter chasers, my parents swear by theirs. I've tried one
for mosquitoes and don't think it made a difference]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 03:09:05 -0700 (PDT), "Mike S."
wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

They don't work. Use boric acid for ant control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

No need to buy the pest repellents--playing Jimi Hendrix CDs will work
as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

No need to buy the pest repellents--playing Jimi Hendrix CDs will work
as well.

About 15 years ago a local inventor came out with a mosquito chaser that made a
buzzing sound that was supposed to sound like a dragon fly. Apparently dragon
flies eat a lot of mosquitoes. Didn't work but he made about $50 off me and my
fishing buddies.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[on the critter chasers, my parents swear by theirs. ...

Yeah, and I've not seen any elephants since, either...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear. I ended up having to unplug it because it was so annoying
and everyone thought I was crazy. So it makes me wonder how those
things are supposed to keep bugs away. I didn't think people were
supposed to be able to hear them.

As to repelling insects, they do not work.

As to separating suckers from their money, they do work.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Mike S." wrote:

Does anyone know how those electronic pest repellents are supposed to
work? My grandparents have two different ones at their house to repel
ants. The one in the kitchen certainly doesn't do a thing to repel the
ants but it sure makes me want to leave. That thing keeps making
annoying, sort of high-pitched sounds. No one else hears it except for
me. I'm wondering if it's making a frequency that only people under 30
can hear.

Send the doubters here-
http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/
These folks are selling security systems based on frequencies only
young folks can hear.

Jim
[on the critter chasers, my parents swear by theirs. I've tried one
for mosquitoes and don't think it made a difference]

I'm surprised young folks can hear their own farts.

Funny. My old man said the same thing to me. (I'm 60.)

Steve

METAL WORKERS, WORK WITH MAKING NEW ELECTRONIC CIGARETTES ALLMETAL, ITS INCREDIBLE FUN [email protected] Metalworking 0 January 31st 09 07:49 AM
Pest repellers, do they work please? T i m UK diy 10 May 15th 06 03:17 PM
Opinion on snake repellents TCB er ah TCC Taking Care of Carol Home Repair 10 May 13th 06 08:58 PM
Rats and repellents galaxi UK diy 11 December 13th 05 10:02 PM
Electronic Studfinder Don't Work Wayne Boatwright Home Repair 5 August 15th 05 03:38 AM