Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Pest repellers, do they work please?

Hi All,

My daughters boyfriend and Mum are having problems round their flat
with 'carpet bugs' (I'm not sure if they really know exactly they are
just that they don't want them g) coming in from the loft (top
floor flat) and the loft is due to be sprayed next weekend.

His Mum wanted to get one of those 4-in-one ultrasonic pest repellers
in the hope it will distract them (and insects in general) from coming
into the flat.

Something like this ..

http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproduc..._in_1_Pest.php

So, in the spirit of them doing something for themselves does anyone
have any experience of such gadgets and do they really work like it
says on the tin?

Obviously the concept seems better than using chemicals and 'nicer'
than having traps / zappers etc ?

I then the bug doctor bloke that came round suggested they were worth
using ..?

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Sat, 13 May 2006 11:49:50 GMT, T i m wrote:

[...]

Sounds complete and utter ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 13 May 2006 12:11:31 GMT, EricP
wrote:

So, in the spirit of them doing something for themselves does anyone
have any experience of such gadgets and do they really work like it
says on the tin?

Obviously the concept seems better than using chemicals and 'nicer'
than having traps / zappers etc ?

I then the bug doctor bloke that came round suggested they were worth
using ..?

All the best ..

T i m

Sounds complete and utter ********.

Don't beat around the bush Eric, tell us what you *really* think ;-)

So are you saying that these 'ultrasonic' doobries don't work at all,
don't work as the texts suggest (I'm not convinced about the
ultrasound being radiated around the house wiring!) or even if they
did function mechanically they simply wouldn't have the effect they
suggest (or all the above)?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
His Mum wanted to get one of those 4-in-one ultrasonic pest repellers
in the hope it will distract them (and insects in general) from coming
into the flat.

Something like this ..

http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproduc..._in_1_Pest.php

All the features of snake oil.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 13 May 2006 13:56:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
His Mum wanted to get one of those 4-in-one ultrasonic pest repellers
in the hope it will distract them (and insects in general) from coming
into the flat.

Something like this ..

http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproduc..._in_1_Pest.php

All the features of snake oil.

I hear what you are saying Dave (and my thoughs as well) but is there
any evidence (either way) re these things?

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
T i m wrote:
http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproduc..._in_1_Pest.php

All the features of snake oil.

I hear what you are saying Dave (and my thoughs as well) but is there
any evidence (either way) re these things?

Just that I've not seen them in commercial premises - which usually get
this sort of thing first.

Only electric bug zapper I've seen is the 'blue light' type.

Also, the site is full of dodgy products.

--
*All generalizations are false.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

On Sat, 13 May 2006 18:05:56 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproduc..._in_1_Pest.php

All the features of snake oil.

I hear what you are saying Dave (and my thoughs as well) but is there
any evidence (either way) re these things?

Just that I've not seen them in commercial premises - which usually get
this sort of thing first.

Ok, agreed they can sometimes set a precidence.

Only electric bug zapper I've seen is the 'blue light' type.

As seen in good kebab shops worldwide ;-)

Also, the site is full of dodgy products.

;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

wrote:

[...]

I was looking at one for £39.99 before I read your post and decided
that them. About the only thing they might do is annoy cats and dogs.

But seriously, they do blow the thing when, as you point out you get
to the radiating ring main bit. I believe most insects that lurk
around the home don't even have auditory apparatus anyway.

It would be interesting to see a bit of serious proof of the wide
claims they make for the thing. )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Sat, 13 May 2006 12:38:55 GMT, T i m wrote:

So are you saying that these 'ultrasonic' doobries don't work at all,
don't work as the texts suggest (I'm not convinced about the
ultrasound being radiated around the house wiring!) or even if they
did function mechanically they simply wouldn't have the effect they
suggest (or all the above)?

Only for repelling teenagers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/noise16.xml

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Only for repelling teenagers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/noise16.xml

So your hearing undergoes some magical changes on your 13th and 20th
birthdays?

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:19:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Only for repelling teenagers...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...16/noise16.xml

So your hearing undergoes some magical changes on your 13th and 20th
birthdays?

If you believe the marketing blurb ;-)

Mark

Plagiarism Kirk Woodturning 118 March 9th 05 12:04 PM
How to find a good contractor? Alexander Galkin Home Repair 34 March 1st 05 05:06 PM
Electrical work - would inspector check previously done work? Himanshu Home Repair 4 January 23rd 05 07:04 PM
Moisture Cure Urethane (Moisture Cured Urethane) Moshe Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:50 PM
Garage Door Work question Rich Greenberg Home Ownership 0 August 6th 03 01:12 AM