Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutters & Downs

I'm going to have my house painted. The last guy who gave me a
quote looked at my gutters and called them an anachronism.

He said that in times when buildings were set on the ground
without a proper foundation, gutters were necessary so that the
ground would not become saturated with water, allowing the
building to sink into it. However, with a proper foundation,
this was not necessary and the gutters could be removed. One of
my fascia boards needs to be replaced due to rot, and he says
it's because the gutters have been creating ice dams in the
winter, and that if they weren't there, that board would not have
rotted.

This is the first time I've ever heard a recommendation for
removing the gutters as unnecessary, and I'm a bit skeptical.
Note that this is a well respected painter who has been doing
this work since 1962, so his opinion carries some weight.

But still . . .

So, I'm wondering. Can I take them off and leave them off?

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Daniels wrote:

So, I'm wondering. Can I take them off and leave them off?

Of course, you can...

How good it will be will depend on how much actual rain there is where
you are and terrain and how good the drainage is around the house. If
you don't have red clay to splash up and stain, moderate amounts of
rainfall and excellent drainage and non-saturating soils prone to
excessive movement between saturated and dry, it may be fine. Then
again, why change what works?

There really shouldn't be a fascia problem even w/ the gutters as the
shingles should overlap sufficiently to prevent frequent water/ice
intrusion that doesn't dry.

And, there's the question others raise of the inconvenience over
entrances, etc.

The house here doesn't, but it's fairly dry here. In TN/VA, wouldn't
have wanted to do w/o...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Steve Daniels wrote:

[...]

Do what you want. I only put them where I don't want water dripping like
door entrances on the house and garage doors. You should have drip edges
though to keep the water from getting under the shingles from capillary
or wicking action.

Also need to think about landscaping damage from water falling on it.
If no landscaping, then potential for a "rut" forming from water drop
and the mud splashing onto side of house. Large ice formations hanging
from edge of roof?
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

I was going to add to remember who's making the recommendation -- he
undoubtedly finds it much easier/faster to simply paint flat fascia than
the gutters...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 11:40*am, Steve Daniels wrote:
[...]

If you have a basement, he is wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't take gutter advice from a painter. If you have two intersecting
roof planes, the valley at the intersection will turn into a small
river during heavy rains. I doubt you'd want something like that
pouring off the side of your house.

If you really don't want gutters on your house, you should move them
to the ground in the form of a plastic-lined gravel moat with a
drainage pipe inside that leads to a safe area for water.

I guarantee you this painter will not foot the bill for foundation
problems should they arise because of his advice of allowing thousands
of gallons of water to pool around a structure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

The painter should not be trusted in anything, even painting, he is
full of hockey
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:

[...]

That guy is an ignorant needledick and you should tell him that.
Foundations are highly susceptible to water pressure and getting that
water away from them at all costs is imperative to their long life.
What a fukkin moron to say what he did.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Daniels wrote:

[...]

Also, in most jurisdictions, having gutters is required by code before
receiving a final inspection. Not that i'm a code hound, actually the
opposite, but when you do happen to be bound by code, you have to follow
the rules.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote
Steve Daniels wrote:

He said that in times when buildings were set on the ground
without a proper foundation, gutters were necessary so that the
ground would not become saturated with water, allowing the

Note that this is a well respected painter who has been doing
this work since 1962, so his opinion carries some weight.

He's a painter, not a foundation expert. He probably did not check your
footer for example to see if you have a nice wide one.

Also, in most jurisdictions, having gutters is required by code before
receiving a final inspection. Not that i'm a code hound, actually the
opposite, but when you do happen to be bound by code, you have to follow
the rules.

Correct and I have never seen a house near me without them. Could be code
spec requires them here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 09:40:28 -0800, Steve Daniels
wrote:

I'm going to have my house painted. The last guy who gave me a
quote looked at my gutters and called them an anachronism.

He knows from nothing. While there may be some areas of the
country where that may be true, most areas do need them to protect
your home. Many areas require them in the building code.

I would not consider a house painter as an authority on the
subject, and the fact that he would say that would disqualify him from
my list of possible contractors, even for painting, which he might
know something about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm going to have my house painted. *The last guy who gave me a
quote looked at my gutters and called them an anachronism.

* * * * He knows from nothing. *While there may be some areas of the
country where that may be true, most areas do need them to protect
your home. *Many areas require them in the building code. *

* * * * I would not consider a house painter as an authority on the
subject, and the fact that he would say that would disqualify him from
my list of possible contractors, even for painting, which he might
know something about. *

I didn't want gutters on my house for aesthetic reasons, so I didn't
put them on. I paid special attention to basement waterproofing and
grade around the house, and now after 23 years, no basement water
problems yet. There are a few other downsides, though: There can be
some erosion where the water falls if it hits unprotected soil. You
can get a little wetter entering and leaving. For me, it's been worth
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message

Also need to think about landscaping damage from water falling on it. If
no landscaping, then potential for a "rut" forming from water drop and
the mud splashing onto side of house. Large ice formations hanging from
edge of roof?

That's why they make crushed rock.

That's fine if you want a crushed rock moat ringing your house instead of
landscape\plantings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. When I win the lotto and build my dream house (like I often muse
about on here), the plan is for a standing-seam roof, and broad
overhangs, and suitable yard grading and soil composition, so that
basement flooding is not an issue. Not a fan of gutters, since they are
a pain to clean and usually look pretty ugly. But I do recognize that on
a typical house on a typical almost-flat lot, there are few practical
alternatives.

Wonder why it got written into code in some areas? Public health issue,
trying to avoid creating mosquito breeders below open windows to
sleeping rooms? The perception that gutterless houses were not as
civilized looking? Any historians out there have any actual knowledge,
as opposed to my guesses?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Hi,
My cabin has standing seam steel panel roof which supposes to last 100
years. I don't have gutter on this one. Being high pitch and heavy snow
area. sliding chunk of snow/ice will knock them down in no time.
In this case gutter is a big no, no. My house in the city has gutter for
sure. After having 5 houses, a cabin built, still don't have dream house
yet. I think dream house only lives in my head, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Does he paint in the sun, or the East side in the AM, or a warm
surface, or the West Side in the PM, Yr guy reaks of idiotness, unless
it dont rain where you is, maybe the desert. What PRO recomended him,
or was it neighbor Martha who was happy he didnt step on her Rose
Bushes and hissing cat, so yo think thats a PRO. Hey hey. A Repaint in
2 years. [ but we thought he was so good, it must be bad paint as he
said] Suckers..............
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 15:23:40 -0800 (PST), against all advice,
something compelled ransley , to say:

The painter should not be trusted in anything, even painting, he is
full of hockey

He's Canadian?

--

Real men don't text.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wonder why it got written into code in some areas? Public health issue,
trying to avoid creating mosquito breeders below open windows to
sleeping rooms?

I'd be as concerned with mosquitos breeding in the gutters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wouldn't trust that guy. He just doesn't want to have to put them back
up.

--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

ed_h wrote:
Wonder why it got written into code in some areas? Public health issue,
trying to avoid creating mosquito breeders below open windows to
sleeping rooms?

I'd be as concerned with mosquitos breeding in the gutters.

Unless the gutters are installed wrong, or never cleaned, that isn't a
problem. Self draining by definition.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 6:27*pm, aemeijers wrote:
ed_h wrote:
Wonder why it got written into code in some areas? Public health issue,
trying to avoid creating mosquito breeders below open windows to
sleeping rooms?

I'd be as concerned with mosquitos breeding in the gutters.

Unless the gutters are installed wrong, or never cleaned, that isn't a
problem. Self draining by definition.

--
aem sends...

Yes, the need to clean them is one of the reasons some would like to
eliminate them. With mature trees around, cleaning them once a month
may not be enough. Mosquitoes can hatch in onlty a few days, I think.