Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Gutters & Downs

On Mar 5, 11:40*am, Steve Daniels wrote:
I'm going to have my house painted. *The last guy who gave me a
quote looked at my gutters and called them an anachronism.

He said that in times when buildings were set on the ground
without a proper foundation, gutters were necessary so that the
ground would not become saturated with water, allowing the
building to sink into it. *However, with a proper foundation,
this was not necessary and the gutters could be removed. *One of
my fascia boards needs to be replaced due to rot, and he says
it's because the gutters have been creating ice dams in the
winter, and that if they weren't there, that board would not have
rotted.

This is the first time I've ever heard a recommendation for
removing the gutters as unnecessary, and I'm a bit skeptical.
Note that this is a well respected painter who has been doing
this work since 1962, so his opinion carries some weight.

But still . . .

So, I'm wondering. *Can I take them off and leave them off?

--

Real men don't text.

The painter should not be trusted in anything, even painting, he is
full of hockey