Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help taking a shower w/o flooding the basement

Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 27, 8:29*pm, wrote:

snip

*I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. *

Do you have the tools and skills to do decent DIY plumbing work? If
not, call the pro and watch how it is done. Old work isn't the easiest
place to learn the techniques of home repairs. Look over your box
store selection of plumbing books for starters. Black & Decker used to
have some dandy entry level books.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:29*pm, wrote:
*Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. *The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. *The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. *I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. *Thanks!

New, any warranty? Replace tub spout, then locate leak. Open
inspection cover on wall behind tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. Thanks!

*If the tube spout has one of those pop-up diverters, changing the tub
spout should correct that problem. It just screws off. Use Teflon tape on
the threads before putting the new one on.

The leaking shower is not that simple. The water could be coming down
through the wall of the shower, from a crack in the shower pan, a problem
with the drain connection or a problem with a pipe underneath. You need to
open up the ceiling below and try and pinpoint exactly where the water is
coming from. After you figure that out you can post your findings in this
newsgroup and get some answers on how to proceed. Be prepared for the worst
which would be installing a new shower. Don't wait too long because you
risk more damage to your subfloor which will be an added expense to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:29*pm, wrote:
*Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. *The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. *The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. *I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. *Thanks!

pay or move ass hole
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:37:59 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

wrote:
Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. Thanks!

Take a garden hose and fill up the tub, then drain it. If it leaks down
stairs your drain is leaking.If not, your shower plumbing is leaking
when its on.

Perfectly good advice re leak.

Never mind (for now) if you can fix-fix. Concentrate on identifying the
specific problem.

If the drain's not leaking, take a bucket, run about 15 gal. of water from the
shower head into the bucket (only). Empty into toilet. If you still have water in
basement, the problem *has* to be behind the (tiled ?) wall (and that will be
expensive). If not, you have a leak in the shower stall.

Once identifed, post the problem here if you still wanna try to fix-fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 8:29*pm, wrote:
*Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. *The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. *The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. *I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. *Thanks!

You need to open up the ceiling under the tub and find the leak. If
you just fill the tub (no shower) then drain it is there still a
leak? If not then the problem is probably bad caulking or a leak in
the shower feed line or valve. If just emptying the tub causes a leak
then your drain trap is probably leaking, corroded, etc.

Basement flooding avid_hiker Home Repair 4 March 22nd 07 11:40 PM
flooding in basement - need help fast! Joe Home Repair 36 March 4th 07 12:31 PM
Basement flooding C & E Home Repair 12 June 29th 06 07:51 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 17th 06 05:34 PM
Help..Basement Flooding Question [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 17th 06 06:09 AM