Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Need help taking a shower w/o flooding the basement

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:37:59 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

wrote:
Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve. I'd love some helpful advice on how to
solve both problems without the cost of a plumber coming out. Thanks!

Take a garden hose and fill up the tub, then drain it. If it leaks down
stairs your drain is leaking.If not, your shower plumbing is leaking
when its on.

Perfectly good advice re leak.

Never mind (for now) if you can fix-fix. Concentrate on identifying the
specific problem.

If the drain's not leaking, take a bucket, run about 15 gal. of water from the
shower head into the bucket (only). Empty into toilet. If you still have water in
basement, the problem *has* to be behind the (tiled ?) wall (and that will be
expensive). If not, you have a leak in the shower stall.

Once identifed, post the problem here if you still wanna try to fix-fix.