Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_14_] Bob[_14_] is offline

Default Need help taking a shower w/o flooding the basement

wrote:
Recently moved into my "new" home with my husband and would love to
be able to take a nice shower without going downstairs afterwards to a
lake in my laundry room. The water is dripping from the ceiling for
sure, but that is only part of the problem. The second part of the
problem is that when I do take a shower half the water runs out of the
shower head and half out of the tub spout, which I think has something
to do with the diverter valve...

I had the same problem. The design is that when the spout flow is
blocked, water will go up to the shower head. In my case, the spout was
held in place with a slip-on fitting to the copper pipe, and held in
place with a setscrew. The screw forced the pipe out of round, which in
turn caused water to come out the back of the spout into the wall. The
fix was to replace the spout with one that uses a threaded fitting, and
solder an extension to the spout pipe. Fortunately I was able to do it
without breaking any tiles.