Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate flooring question

I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthony Lisanti" wrote in message

I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

I've only ever used the separate padding, but I don't see why it would make
a difference in most cases. It does make a difference if the floor is being
installed below grade and it would not be a solid moisture barrier.

Have you talked to a local flooring dealer? I've bought flooring three
times now and got equal or better prices from the local guys compared to the
big box stores. Also had better selection and service. I have no
experience with Empire aside from annoying commercials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

Did he say why?

Also check www.lumberliquidators.com - they are as much as half the price of
HD.

And yes, this is a job you can easily do yourself. I've done four rooms and
a 30' hallway. I liked it so much, I even used laminate flooring as a
countertop.

I'm gonna do the dog house next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

I will have to agree find someone besides HD, I've also found much betters
deals than the big box stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 10:16*am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. * I have a sample from home depot. *It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back. *

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. *He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. * He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring. *

Is there any pros or cons to this? *Does it matter?

I got one bid from empire and will never get another, they were double
the price of several regular installers who supplied products, so the
padding is on the piece, what does it matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

What matters is... installing the floor consistent with
the manufacturers directions. I would tend to trust
Dupont's recommendations. But, whatever they are, you'll
blow their warranty if you don't install per their
instructions.

Obviously, it will also depend on the site conditions.
If you're installing well above grade on a completely
dry sub-floor, you don't have to be concerned too
much about moisture (except for spills and leaks). If
you're installing below grade and/or over concrete a
sound moisture barrier is critical.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:16 am, Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

I got one bid from empire and will never get another, they were double
the price of several regular installers who supplied products, so the
padding is on the piece, what does it matter.

Empire is the modern version of the old door-to-door siding salesman.
They are mainly in the money-lending business- the product is just a
hook to get you in the tent. Same class as rent-to-own stores. Rule of
thumb- never deal with a vendor that offers their own financing, and
pushes it hard. Most of these companies don't really want cash
customers. They want people that can't see beyond the monthly payment.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony Lisanti wrote in
:

I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

Pure speculation:

I have put down laminate flooring and it came out great. It was the
separate padding. Anyway, when it's installed, you must leave a gap at
each wall of like 1/4-1/2" per mfgrs instructions. The floor floats and
the laminate will expand and contract based on room temp & humidity. If
there were no gap it can buckle. Others have attested to this actually
happening.

The typical padding is not made to move on the floor and will tend to
grip some. It's the laminate that slides with a much less coefficient of
friction on the padding.

The folks at DuPont are a lot smarter than me about flooring for sure.
Hopefully they have figured it out. But then again, there was the
masonite siding and the band connectors for the plastic water pipe major
blunders to name a couple.

I'd be leary of this one till it's proven. Who knows how many years that
will take.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Anthony Lisanti wrote:
I'm looking to replace the cheap flooring that's down in my dining
room now. I have a sample from home depot. It's dupont product with
the padding glued to the back.

I had Empire come out and I showed him the sample. He said it wasn't
a good idea to have that backing glued to the back. He recommenced a
separate padding (Vapor barrier) then flooring.

Is there any pros or cons to this? Does it matter?

A vapor barrier means nothing unless it on one continuous membrane, vapor
will get through all the gaps in the separate pieces. It is also not needed
if it is a suspended floor over a living area. You only need it between the
living area and the outside or ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 22, 12:31*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

snip

And yes, this is a job you can easily do yourself. I've done four rooms and
a 30' hallway. I liked it so much, I even used laminate flooring as a
countertop.

I'm gonna do the dog house next.

Use the little bitty leftovers for the bird house.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, since my basement is below, this would be considered a suspend
floor right? There's a laminate down now, but areas are buckling and
that's why I want it ripped up. This was done before I bought the
home. it looks like they shoved it as right as possible against the
walls. I would assume this is why it buckled.

Also have to worry about the dog too. Sometimes he can have a little
accident before my wife and I get home.

HD already jerked me around. I had a appointment for them to measure
everything and this guy called me up and said he couldn't make it. I
has to make a new appointment. You would think in this economy
they'd go out of the way to do the work.