Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why I shop at Ace Hardware

Two themes for today's posting:

1. Ace Hardware is a good place to shop
2. You can actually get replacement parts for toilet fill valves

Customer has a low-flush toilet that was running. Problem turned out to
be the fill valve, which was very flaky. Called a couple places: the
"real" plumbing supply place said "Sure, we have replacements for those
Toto fill valves"; more than $30 and, oddly, not adjustable. The nearby
Ace said they had a replacement "quiet fill" valve that *might* work,
but they weren't sure.

So I trucked on over to Ace with the old valve, and sure 'nuf, the
replacements they had looked exactly like mine. I grabbed the package
and headed out, then bumped into the guy I'd spoken to over the phone to
show him they were identical. He told me I could also get just the fill
valve (the plastic package I had also had a replacement flapper, which I
didn't need). Then he tells me for next time, you can get just the
replacement valve body, which was completely news to me.

He ended up taking my fill valve to his little work counter where we
took it apart to see if the valve would fit; it did. So instead of
paying $30+ for a new fill valve, instead of $12 for a new fill valve,
it was less than 3 bucks for just the part that had gone bad. (It worked
fine after taking it back and replacing it.)

My hat is off to that manufacturer who actually makes a replacement part
for a plastic item that I've gotten used to just tossing out. How quaint
and early-20th-century is that? And to Ace for having knowledgeable and
resourceful people working there.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 20, 7:49*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Ace is great, but ask for a commercial discount. I spent near 1700.00
at Ace last month. HD is my other option many deals like CFL s are
better at HD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ace in marble Falls is great. Get answers to almost anything, replacement
parts. Get answers.
Price is not the best in town, but the value you receive is the best in
town.
When Wal-mart expanded, then HD came in, each time I was sure Ace would
close. But thankfully they are still there. Now Lowes has just opened....

I have no affilation with Ace, 'cept as a customer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:31:15 +0300, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

Ace in marble Falls is great. Get answers to almost anything, replacement
parts. Get answers.
Price is not the best in town, but the value you receive is the best in
town.
When Wal-mart expanded, then HD came in, each time I was sure Ace would
close. But thankfully they are still there. Now Lowes has just opened....

I have no affilation with Ace, 'cept as a customer

I like Ace too, but it is closed when I get off work and closed on
Sundays. I shop Home Depot due to convenience but do not like the
store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Phisherman wrote:

I like Ace too, but it is closed when I get off work and closed on
Sundays. I shop Home Depot due to convenience but do not like the
store.

This varies by location. The Ace Hardware stores near me are open evenings and
Sundays.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There used to be a small town True Value store, near me.
They went out of business, and now it's a car dealership.
One of their people hired on with Home Depot.

About half hour drive from me is a hardware, that linked up
with Pro, I think it is. They have a people who know all
that kind of thing.

One time I got a request from a friend, to fix a tippy
toilet. The folks had a toilet flange that fits into the
existing pipe. Worked nicely. They also had some cabinet
hinges I needed, for a job at a store. The prices are
typically higher than the big box stores, but I like
supporting small business.

Sometimes a store looks small. And then I walk in, and
realize the store goes way back, and is crammed with good
things.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

because it generates considerable business for me in
consulting and
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out
there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company
motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote in message
news
David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Good place if you like to pay more. If Walmart don't carry it, Home Depot
does.

--
//--------------------\\
Van Chocstraw

I don't mind paying a few bucks more when I can walk into a store, get
greeted nicely and have all my questions answered. When I ask if they carry
something, they walk me to the item. They don't point. If I have a question
as to how to use or install something, they tell me. And when I buy
something, they thank me. I also found that they are not that more expensive
than the box stores. Just like I leave a bigger tip for great service in a
restaurant, I pay a little more to be treated like a human being.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Van Chocstraw" wrote

Good place if you like to pay more. If Walmart don't carry it, Home Depot
does.

If Walmart carries it, it's the cheapest Chinese crap there is. If Home
Depot carries it, you can't find it or get anyone to help you find it.
Ergo: Ace.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
There used to be a small town True Value store, near me.
They went out of business, and now it's a car dealership.
One of their people hired on with Home Depot.

About half hour drive from me is a hardware, that linked up
with Pro, I think it is. They have a people who know all
that kind of thing.

One time I got a request from a friend, to fix a tippy
toilet. The folks had a toilet flange that fits into the
existing pipe. Worked nicely. They also had some cabinet
hinges I needed, for a job at a store. The prices are
typically higher than the big box stores, but I like
supporting small business.

Sometimes a store looks small. And then I walk in, and
realize the store goes way back, and is crammed with good
things.

I spend a lot of time and money at our local Ace in my handyman business,
and am privileged to be allowed access to their back room. Lotsa goodies
back there not on the front shelves. I'm also allowed to explore their huge
corporate order catalog. Great place to do business!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/09 10:40 am 1D1OT wrote:

"Stormin wrote in message
[...]

A while back I went to one local Ace Hardware store looking for Benjamin
Moore paint, but they had only gallons -- no 5-gallon pails. Another
nearby Ace has no Benjamin Moore at all, despite the claim on the
Benjamin Moore Web site that their paints are available at Ace.

That first Ace store has some items on the shelf with no prices marked,
and the employees aren't always able to find the correct price. One time
I bought some electrical wire by the foot, and all they could do was
guess at the right price; I didn't complain that they guessed low.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Ace in marble Falls is great. Get answers to almost anything, replacement
parts. Get answers.
Price is not the best in town, but the value you receive is the best in
town.
When Wal-mart expanded, then HD came in, each time I was sure Ace would
close. But thankfully they are still there. Now Lowes has just

opened....

HD and Lowe's are within a couple miles of my local ACE and they are still
there. I go to ACE first. They may not seem to have a lot of stuff but so
far they ALWAYS have the part that I desperately need. You could spend a
lot of time at one if the big stores and never find what you need.

The other reason I go to HD last is because when they first showed up in
Orange County their prices were artifically low. They drove all the good
hardware and paint stores out of business. Then they jacked up their
prices. They are filled with salespeople who don't know anything or are on
their break.

I have no affilation with Ace, 'cept as a customer

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One time I got a request from a friend, to fix a tippy
toilet. The folks had a toilet flange that fits into the
existing pipe. Worked nicely. They also had some cabinet
hinges I needed, for a job at a store. The prices are
typically higher than the big box stores, but I like
supporting small business.

Sometimes a store looks small. And then I walk in, and
realize the store goes way back, and is crammed with good
things.

There used to be a hardware store in Santa Ana (Orange County, CA). I can't
remember the name but they really did have everything that could be called
hardware. If you had a 100 year old dresser that was missing a knob they
had it in stock. It may have cost you $10-15 for that one knob but they had
it. I really miss their spring-loaded cabinet catches.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
A while back I went to one local Ace Hardware store looking for Benjamin
Moore paint, but they had only gallons -- no 5-gallon pails. Another
nearby Ace has no Benjamin Moore at all, despite the claim on the Benjamin
Moore Web site that their paints are available at Ace.

That first Ace store has some items on the shelf with no prices marked,
and the employees aren't always able to find the correct price. One time I
bought some electrical wire by the foot, and all they could do was guess
at the right price; I didn't complain that they guessed low.

Perce

Ace, True Value, etc are franchise operations. Like any large reaching
setup, some are better than others. For the most part, I find them better
than the big box stores. Sounds like your are not so good, at least for
paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2009 6:03 AM Van Chocstraw spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

I think you missed the whole point of my post: if I had gone into Home
Despot for this part, even if they had it, it's not likely I would have
even *known* that you could buy the less-than-$3 replacement valve
rather than the whole fill valve, so Ace saved me money.

Home Despot is often cheaper, but not always. I do buy stuff there
(lumber, drywall, joint compound, etc.) that is cheaper than a real
lumberyard and easier to just grab and go.

But getting help? Fuggedaboudit. Heard something funny the other day:
was at my favorite electrical supply place (Ace Liquidators in Alameda,
huuuuge warehouse full of all kinds of stuff, cheap), and the guy
checking me out said he goes to Home Depot on weekends himself because
they're open. He said he recently was totally shocked when someone who
works there actually came up to him and asked him if he needed help!

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2009 6:24 AM Sanity spake thus:

I don't mind paying a few bucks more when I can walk into a store,
get greeted nicely and have all my questions answered. When I ask if
they carry something, they walk me to the item. They don't point. If
I have a question as to how to use or install something, they tell
me. And when I buy something, they thank me. I also found that they
are not that more expensive than the box stores. Just like I leave a
bigger tip for great service in a restaurant, I pay a little more to
be treated like a human being.

You'd probably like Ellis Ace Hardware, one of my favorites in my area
and the closest to me. You walk in and are surprised by how small the
place is. Then you realize that there are no aisles to wander to get
what you want: you go to the counter and tell them what you need, and
they get it for you. And they know their stuff.

The place has one of the highest customer service ratings of any
hardware store in the Bay Area.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that
doesn't work, I stay in business. Incidentally, my company motto is
"If this stuff worked, you wouldn't need me".

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

am privileged to be allowed access to their back room. Lotsa goodies
back there not on the front shelves. I'm also allowed to explore their huge
corporate order catalog.

That's the thing I HATE about small stores..You can't see everything cause
it crammed in back rooms and storage buildings out back and you have to ask
somebody to get what you need , then have them hover over you untill you
check out (which irritates the hell outa me) and I always seem to forget to
get some of the things that I need to complete the job and end up going to
EBS (regional semi-big box) or HomeDepot anyway cuz they aren't open late or
on Sunday....I like to go in , get what I think I need and then look around
and almost ALWAYS say oops , I need that too , almost forgot that , I need
some of those aswell and while I'm right here I might as well get that , ect
which is why I don't even bother with the little stores anymore...Different
strokes for different folks , I guess...LOl...

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Personal service is a good thing. My local HD is self-service on the
checkout now. So instead of having six checkout people, they have six
people standing around the registers, helping customers with all the
problems that arise due to self-service registers. What a joke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Van Chocstraw" wrote

Good place if you like to pay more. If Walmart don't carry it, Home
Depot does.

If Walmart carries it, it's the cheapest Chinese crap there is. If
Home Depot carries it, you can't find it or get anyone to help you
find it. Ergo: Ace.

My local Walmart carries Kilz PAINT (and Dutch Boy) - neither of which are
Chinese nor are they available at Home Depot or Lowes.

And if Chinese crap is cheaper than American crap, why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My Ace has an online account where I can find everything that I
bought, the other day I looked and found I bought a 100w MV bulb in
november. I wanted to check bulb wattage that I needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

EBS(the regional semi-big box around here) does something like that too ,
though not on-line yet and you don't need an account...They ask for your
phone number everytime you check out...Makes it real easy to remember paint
brands , colors , ect....They type in the phone number and it's right
there...Makes it easy for old farts like me that never remember what I
bought...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D1OT" wrote in message

[...]

I think my two contact people at Ace would do anything I asked except help
me bury a body. And then, I'm not totally sure of that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

That first Ace store has some items on the shelf with no prices marked,
and the employees aren't always able to find the correct price. One time
I bought some electrical wire by the foot, and all they could do was
guess at the right price; I didn't complain that they guessed low.

Perce

I needed a box of 7 x 57 for a Ruger I inherited. I went there, and the gun
guy was very helpful, but the ammo didn't have a price on it. He did a
radio check, and came back $14.99. I took one box, thinking that was very
cheap. I thought taking three would have been taking advantage if it was
mispriced, so only took one. The cheapest I found it was $21.99 at other
stores. I haven't gone back to check if they have them priced correctly or
higher. I'm satisfied with what I got. They got their asking price. I
didn't take six boxes knowing they had made a mistake.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like the Ace hardware store way way better than the lows or home
depot.
You can actually get help
You don't wait in line like the big box stores
A special order is pretty easy
The product quality seems better

McQuades in Westerly RI is my Ace store, good folks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/09 09:52 pm Van Chocstraw wrote:

Good place if you like to pay more. If Walmart don't carry it, Home
Depot does.

If Walmart carries it, it's the cheapest Chinese crap there is. If
Home Depot carries it, you can't find it or get anyone to help you
find it. Ergo: Ace.

A lot of Chinese crap is much better than American crap. And Americans
make plenty of crap lately.

And a lot of the stuff with famous US brand names is now China-made crap
too -- but double or more the price at local stores (maybe including
Ace) compared to Lowe's and HD.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 02/21/09 09:52 pm Van Chocstraw wrote:

Good place if you like to pay more. If Walmart don't carry it, Home
Depot does.

If Walmart carries it, it's the cheapest Chinese crap there is. If
Home Depot carries it, you can't find it or get anyone to help you
find it. Ergo: Ace.

A lot of Chinese crap is much better than American crap. And Americans
make plenty of crap lately.

And a lot of the stuff with famous US brand names is now China-made crap
too -- but double or more the price at local stores (maybe including Ace)
compared to Lowe's and HD.

Perce

That's why I chuckle everytime these threads come around bashing Walmart ,
Homedepot and Lowes ...But they get that warm fuzzy feeling like they are
doing something important by throwing money away in small so called mom&pops
, so to them I guess it's worth it..LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:05:18 -0800, "Ulysses"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One time I got a request from a friend, to fix a tippy
toilet. The folks had a toilet flange that fits into the
existing pipe. Worked nicely. They also had some cabinet
hinges I needed, for a job at a store. The prices are
typically higher than the big box stores, but I like
supporting small business.

Sometimes a store looks small. And then I walk in, and
realize the store goes way back, and is crammed with good
things.

There used to be a hardware store in Santa Ana (Orange County, CA). I can't
remember the name but they really did have everything that could be called
hardware. If you had a 100 year old dresser that was missing a knob they
had it in stock. It may have cost you $10-15 for that one knob but they had
it. I really miss their spring-loaded cabinet catches.

Sigh! Sounds like Gerald's in Westchester (LA area, on Lincoln Blvd
en route to LAX). Staffed by Olde Tymers who knew everything, could
find everything, and gave what (remember!) personal service.
Never found out why they closed; I hope it was just due to retirement
or something reasonable, but I miss the hell out of them. Not that
near me, but well worth the trip.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

That's why I chuckle everytime these threads come around bashing Walmart
, Homedepot and Lowes ...But they get that warm fuzzy feeling like they
are doing something important by throwing money away in small so called
mom&pops , so to them I guess it's worth it..LOL...

The backroom at ACE has one of everything, and the guys out front
provide complete verbal instructions.

One of the towns in this area fought off, at least temporarily, building
a WalDump on a pristine, riverfront site. Wal probably could much
better afford the legal expenses, but this was a dedicated group of
people - just ordinary local folks, not an enviro. group. We also lost
a large mobile home park - nice, well-kept retiree homes - to a chain
that might be Wal. I won't shop Wal if it's the last store on the
planet. Folks can keep shopping at Wal and wondering WTF happened to
their jobs.............

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped
There used to be a hardware store in Santa Ana (Orange County, CA). I can't
remember the name but they really did have everything that could be called
hardware. If you had a 100 year old dresser that was missing a knob they
had it in stock. It may have cost you $10-15 for that one knob but they had
it. I really miss their spring-loaded cabinet catches.

Sigh! Sounds like Gerald's in Westchester (LA area, on Lincoln Blvd
en route to LAX). Staffed by Olde Tymers who knew everything, could
find everything, and gave what (remember!) personal service.
Never found out why they closed; I hope it was just due to retirement
or something reasonable, but I miss the hell out of them. Not that
near me, but well worth the trip.

Sounds like my sewing machine guy ...... I asked him how long he had
been repairing sewing machines and he said "all my life". He looks
about 70, but his wife looks older. He knows all, has all the parts,
and teaches a couple of younger guys. One of the younger ones, though,
answered a question pops couldn't answer. I bought a case for my
daughter's new/old Singer machine from him - he originally quoted $70,
which is more case than needed. Got it later for half that. The second
time I asked, he came down more that what I had been prepared to pay, so
I pitched in the difference. My Singer is going on 40 years old and
does everything I will ever want to do with a sewing machine, including
sew boat covers. The handle on my sew. mach. case rusted and broke - he
had another, along with the goofy spring clip that holds it on. Another
engineering marvel.

One of these days, a couple of handy guys are going to get tired of this
nonsense and start repairing good stuff. Americans have gotten too
freaking lazy...hope we can never again afford to pitch a "new" TV and
go out and buy another.
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

[...]

It ain't "throwing money away" if I leave feeling friendly rather than
homicidal and I actually got what I came for.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

One of the towns in this area fought off, at least temporarily,
building a WalDump on a pristine, riverfront site. Wal probably
could much better afford the legal expenses, but this was a dedicated
group of people - just ordinary local folks, not an enviro. group. We also
lost a large mobile home park - nice, well-kept retiree homes
- to a chain that might be Wal. I won't shop Wal if it's the last
store on the planet. Folks can keep shopping at Wal and wondering
WTF happened to their jobs.............

And, in your first example, the purists can live in the riverfront park
because they can't afford anything else.

If you look at the cities that do not have a Walmart (Chicago, New York,
Boston, D.C., San Francisco, Baltimore, Boston, etc.), I think you'll
discover the pattern (Houston has 17 Walmarts, Las Vegas has 14).

Jobs? Last year a Walmart opened across the street from Chicago. The store
had THIRTEEN THOUSAND applicants for 300+ jobs and 70% of the applicants had
Chicago ZIP codes! Most studies show Walmart creates more jobs than are
lost - and the jobs are of equal or better employe value.

Sure, some mom and pop stores will suffer, but complaining about that is
equivalent to lamenting the demise of the buggy-whip industry because
eveybody's buying the new-fangled automobile.

Myself, I'd LOVE to be able to open a store in the same parking lot as a
Walmart - use them as an anchor sto Ice cream shop, bookstore, sandwich
shop, auto parts, wedding chapel, whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "HeyBub" wrote:

Jobs? Last year a Walmart opened across the street from Chicago. The store
had THIRTEEN THOUSAND applicants for 300+ jobs and 70% of the applicants had
Chicago ZIP codes! Most studies show Walmart creates more jobs than are
lost - and the jobs are of equal or better employe value.

Sorry, I don't buy that. It may be true when looking *only* at retail jobs
gained at Wal-Mart vs. retail jobs lost at their competitors. But Wal-Mart
sells very little American-manufactured goods. Their insistence on
price-cutting has been a significant force in driving manufacturing overseas,
and thus contributed to the loss of manufacturing jobs in the U.S. To be sure,
Wal-Mart is not the only retailer responsible for this -- Home Depot, Lowe's,
Target, and Sears, among others, share in the blame. But to say that they
create more jobs than are lost, when they serve mostly as conduits for
marketing to Americans goods that are manufactured by non-Americans -- goods
that used to be made in America, by Americans -- just doesn't hold water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
benick wrote:

[...]

I live in a small town of about 20,000. They only hire the prettiest girls
from 18-24. The asst. manager looks like an ex beauty queen, big hair, boob
job, and all. More like a dancer. But I digress.

A trip to Ace goes something like this for this sixty year old. I go in. I
immediately look to see where Dave and Bob are so that can avoid them and
get waited on by one of the bouncy bubbly (but very knowledgeable) young
ladies. WE usually have to search a while, all the time, I'm teaching them
about what it is I'm looking for, mainly so next time they will know, and
can help others in the future. I Well, not mainly, but I digress. I
always ask to see things on lower shelves and where they have to bend over.
The whole trip could be done faster if I'd just go get what I want, or get
Dave or Bob, as they know every little hiding place there. But when I
leave, I definitely leave with a better attitude, my parts, and a little ego
massage. The girls now even call me by name.

I have no idea where they find so many really cute chicks in that small town
and why they don't have many males in the same job. My best trips are when
big hair waits on me. She's at least six feet tall, and thirtyish. Hubba
hubba. She's hot!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Well i guess if you don't know what you are doing it's worth it to have a
store tutor.

--
//--------------------\\
Van Chocstraw

Do those of us here who don't know everything bore you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
I live in a small town of about 20,000. They only hire the prettiest
girls from 18-24. The asst. manager looks like an ex beauty queen, big
hair, boob job, and all. More like a dancer. But I digress.

If you go to our local Wal Mart you will soon realize that is a local
situation and not corporate policy. Most of the ladies on the registers
look like my grandmother and I'm 63.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
One of the towns in this area fought off, at least temporarily,
building a WalDump on a pristine, riverfront site. Wal probably
could much better afford the legal expenses, but this was a dedicated
group of people - just ordinary local folks, not an enviro. group. We also
lost a large mobile home park - nice, well-kept retiree homes
- to a chain that might be Wal. I won't shop Wal if it's the last
store on the planet. Folks can keep shopping at Wal and wondering
WTF happened to their jobs.............

And, in your first example, the purists can live in the riverfront park
because they can't afford anything else.

These weren't "purists", they were people who live in the community and
value the resource that WalMart was ready to ruin. It is a gorgeous
site, not just land that nobody else wanted.

If you look at the cities that do not have a Walmart (Chicago, New York,
Boston, D.C., San Francisco, Baltimore, Boston, etc.), I think you'll
discover the pattern (Houston has 17 Walmarts, Las Vegas has 14).

Which "pattern"? Open land? Chicago has miles of waterfront parks, the
result of folks long, long ago who knew the value of open spaces. You
can ride a horse close to downtown Chicago, drive for miles with a view
of the park and the water, hold an outdoor rally for a million people,
have a picnic and visit a great museum, hop on a bus or train to go
home. BTDT.

Jobs? Last year a Walmart opened across the street from Chicago. The store
had THIRTEEN THOUSAND applicants for 300+ jobs and 70% of the applicants had
Chicago ZIP codes! Most studies show Walmart creates more jobs than are
lost - and the jobs are of equal or better employe value.

Cool, work at Walmart and spend in Chicago. Works for me ) And the
wages, no doubt, add tremendously to the economy....well, if the
employee's two other jobs are counted. FWIW, the Miami PD had how many
thousands of applicants for one of the worst jobs in the country. Avg.
length of employment is about 2 yrs, I believe.

So, a one-owner (and repair) shop sells small appliances, TV's, stereos.
He can't run it alone, so he hires a couple of skilled people to learn
the repair end and give him some time off. His employees draw loyal
customers, not just shoppers for the cheapest deal...and adds to the
value of the original purchase by having a place to service it.

Sure, some mom and pop stores will suffer, but complaining about that is
equivalent to lamenting the demise of the buggy-whip industry because
eveybody's buying the new-fangled automobile.

When companies ship jobs out of the country ... yesterday it was one of
the computer mfg's, I think ... who do they think is going to be left
with a wage that can buy their product in the US? I keep asking myself.

Myself, I'd LOVE to be able to open a store in the same parking lot as a
Walmart - use them as an anchor sto Ice cream shop, bookstore, sandwich
shop, auto parts, wedding chapel, whatever.

SOL...Walmart sells the sandwiches, ice cream, books, auto parts. Mebbe
a wedding chapel...Walmart can do the photography. Hot dog cart or a
massage parlor might work. Or is WalMart doing massages?

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Some of us could only hope to know everything. No convenient Ace here
but I do appreciate the knowledgeable folks at the real supply house. I
might walk in requesting something and they might ask what I am doing
and suggest a better/newer method or suggest a much less expensive
renewal kit that I didn't even know existed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Well i guess if you don't know what you are doing it's worth it to have
a store tutor.

....and those of us who learn by doing have a great place to start.
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

So, has either of you read Deep Economy by Bill McKibbin?

http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Economy-W...32064&sr= 8-1

Makes sense to me! (not usually a top poster, but someone might like
to refer to the thread that provoked this response from me)

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:22:08 -0500, "
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
benick wrote:
[...]

Jeez- and I thought my social life was pathetic....

--
aem sends...