Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Worth leaving shower/bath water to cool down?

Tendency here is to leave shower/bath water to cool down thus
releasing its warmth to the bathroom. We always have the exhaust fan
running while bathing of course to get rid of moisture.

And while we are in the bathroom (in centre of house, no windows) six
40 watts bulbs (total 240 watts) above the vanity mirror are on
keeping the temperature comfortable so that relative humidity is not a
problem.The mirror. for example, fogs over for five to six minutes and
then clears by itself. There are no mould/mildew problems.

We have a fiberglass-shower tub unit. Hot water is heated electrically
in basement below.
A 500 watt baseboard bathroom electric heater rarely cuts in, the
lights and other warmth keeping up the bathroom temperature.

At the end of a typical shower there is warm water in the tub about 4
inches deep, 15 to 18 inches wide and about 48 inches long. These are
probably a bit overestimated; but to continue ............. that's 0.3
x 1.5 x 4 cu feet of water = 1.8 lets say 2 cubic feet of water?

Water weighs 'about' 60 pounds per cu foot. So 60 x 2 = approx. 120
pounds of soapy water at a temperature of around the human body; say
90 degrees F?
..
Leaving it to cool down for an hour or two, to say a room temperature
of 70 degrees F releases 120 pounds times 20 degrees = 2400 BTUs of
warmth.

One kilowatt/hr of electricity will produce 3300 BTUs of heat.

So 2400 BTU's of warmth requires 2400/3300 = 0.73 (approx three
quarters of a kilowatt/hr).

Our electrcity costs, on average, ten (10) cents per k.watt/hr. So; by
doing this am I saving some 7 to 8 cents per shower?

With an average of 1.5 persons in house one shower each per day = 365
x 1.5 x 0.08 = potential saving of $44 per year? Enough, maybe, for a
magazine subscription?

Welcome comments, criticism, or advice whether I have dropped a
decimal point (or other grievous error) in calcs.

And of course the above is probably a 'high' average. Many showers are
quicker than that (less used water). While, for example washing one's
hair couple of times a week, while showering takes an extra minute or
so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.
[...]

What is the actual temp of water in tub, its already cooled from air a
alot, How much water does it take to clean the scum buildup every
week. Turning down the thermostat water temp, insulating pipes, and
low flow head will save alot more. Ng is cheaper than electric where I
live.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Seems like it adds a bit of heat, at the expense of leaving the shower
with dirty feet. Why are you closing the drain when you shower?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

Couple of comments.

Yes, you are saving money by leaving the water to cool and give off the heat
you paid for. Rather than leave the exhaust fan on, leave the door open a
few inches and you won't get the buildup of moisture and you won't have to
blow out the heated air. Neither of my bathrooms have vents and it has
never been a problem if you open the door a bit. If you are afraid of
someone seeing you naked, run the fan. Assuming the water is left, the next
person taking a shower has to step into the dirty soapy mess?

Next is the water in the tub. We spend very little time cleaning the tub as
all the dirt and soap are washed down the drain with little residue. It
seems to me that after sitting for a couple of hours, the soap scum and
other assorted dirt is going to need cleaning. That adds to both water use
and the cost of cleaning solutions. That, plus your time, detracts from the
$44 a year.

FWIW, my electric rate is 19¢, but my water is heated with oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

....My first thought was the energy saved by not allowing the heat down
the drain is offset by use of the exhaust fan. Not using the fan is a
good if your house is 50% humidity. A higher humidity makes it feel
warmer on the skin. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the tub ring,
though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

Hmmm,
Very weird thinking!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
...My first thought was the energy saved by not allowing the heat down
the drain is offset by use of the exhaust fan. Not using the fan is a
good if your house is 50% humidity. A higher humidity makes it feel
warmer on the skin. I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the tub ring,
though.

Hi,
If RH is 50% in my house in winter, all windows will fog up. See typical
outside temp. is -20C range. It all depends.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , terry wrote:
[snip]
At the end of a typical shower there is warm water in the tub about 4
inches deep, 15 to 18 inches wide and about 48 inches long. These are
probably a bit overestimated; but to continue ............. that's 0.3
x 1.5 x 4 cu feet of water = 1.8 lets say 2 cubic feet of water?

Never mind the energy issues -- you need to find out what's clogging your
drain!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:07*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , terry wrote:
[snip]

At the end of a typical shower there is warm water in the tub about 4
inches deep, 15 to 18 inches wide and about 48 inches long. These are
probably a bit overestimated; but to continue ............. that's 0.3
x 1.5 x 4 cu feet of water = 1.8 lets say 2 cubic feet of water?

Never mind the energy issues -- you need to find out what's clogging your
drain!!

If you want to get that anal about extracting 8 cents of heat from
shower waste water, they do have heat recovery devices you could
install in the drain line. It's basicly a heat exchanger that runs
the exiting waste water past the incoming cold water that is going to
your water heater. I doubt it's practical, worth the cost/trouble,
etc but at least you don't have to stand in 4 inchs of water taking a
shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 9:49*am, wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:07*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , terry wrote:
[snip]

At the end of a typical shower there is warm water in the tub about 4
inches deep, 15 to 18 inches wide and about 48 inches long. These are
probably a bit overestimated; but to continue ............. that's 0.3
x 1.5 x 4 cu feet of water = 1.8 lets say 2 cubic feet of water?

Never mind the energy issues -- you need to find out what's clogging your
drain!!

If you want to get that anal about extracting 8 cents of heat from
shower waste water, they do have heat recovery devices you could
install in the drain line. * It's basicly a heat exchanger that runs
the exiting waste water past the incoming cold water that is going to
your water heater. * I doubt it's practical, worth the cost/trouble,
etc but at least you don't have to stand in 4 inchs of water taking a
shower.

Think you guys need to get a life if this is what you do for
excitment . lighten up pay your heating and stop being so cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:01:06 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Feb 16, 9:49*am, wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:07*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , terry wrote:
[snip]

[...]

Frugal, not cheap, there's a difference. A good engineer keeps
material, energy, labor costs low, either for himself or the company
where he works. A fool and his money soon part.

Remember when touch-tone telephone was $1.50 extra per month? Well, I
make few calls per month and used rotary dial for 40 years...

$1.50 x 12 x 40 = $720

Approximating interest on 720 gives

$1360 saved for using rotary dial telephone. Not exactly a large
amount, but not musch missed with rotary dial. Today, I still have a
rotary dial phone, but touch tone is now "included free."

Posted to alt.home.repair

When possible, in the winter. I do leave my shower or tub
water until the next shower, or tub. I figure I paid for the
gas to heat the water, and those BTU I want to keep in my
trailer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
When possible, in the winter. I do leave my shower or tub
water until the next shower, or tub. I figure I paid for the
gas to heat the water, and those BTU I want to keep in my
trailer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

And you spent way more than anything you saved using new hot water to clean
the scum off the shower/tub walls and floor from leaving the standing water.
Penny wise pound foolish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean a galon of water every week contains more BTU than
40 galons of hot water, every day? Amazing. I'm going to
have to make this into a research project, and get
published. Thanks for a great research paper subject, you
goofball.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"h" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
When possible, in the winter. I do leave my shower or tub
water until the next shower, or tub. I figure I paid for
the
gas to heat the water, and those BTU I want to keep in my
trailer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

And you spent way more than anything you saved using new hot
water to clean
the scum off the shower/tub walls and floor from leaving the
standing water.
Penny wise pound foolish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 17, 8:27*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You mean a galon of water every week contains more BTU than
40 galons of hot water, every day? Amazing. I'm going to
have to make this into a research project, and get
published. Thanks for a great research paper subject, you
goofball.

40 gallons of hot water every day for SHOWERS? You're kidding, right?
Do you have the Dugger freaks living with you?

PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You mean a galon of water every week contains more BTU than
40 galons of hot water, every day? Amazing. I'm going to
have to make this into a research project, and get
published. Thanks for a great research paper subject, you
goofball.

You only clean your shower once a week? Gross.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 15, 1:13*pm, Shaun Eli wrote:
Seems like it adds a bit of heat, at the expense of leaving the shower
with dirty feet. *Why are you closing the drain when you shower?

To prevent warm water going down the drain. Having just spent anywhere
from 5 to 8 kilowatt hours of electrical energy heating up the 40 US
gallon hot water tank; seems wrong to now let that hot water (mixed
with cold water to a suitable shower temperature) run straight down
the drain!

Someone else here seems to think drain is clogged, it is not. We are
'holding' the water deliberately in the tub; by leaving the plug in
for an hour or two after showering.

This is a very small town our effluent drains down into the sea with
very little treatment. But, in part, what got us wondering was that;
in a large city some manholes and drains actually steam in very cold
weather. So that heat was/is being wasted into the ground or all
outdoors.

Same as the wasted heat from our car engines. Don't know what the
figure is but is; but only 30% or something of the gasoline actually
goes into driving the car?

Also sometimes you will see 'homeless' people sleeping on top of the
exhaust gratings from buildings which are putting out considerable
amounts of warm air. All that heat, which has been made by the burning
of gas, or oil, or electrcity. Although in some cases heat pumps also
used.

And yes the saving per shower, or the less often, full bath tub, is
very small. The cost of the heat 'lost' down the drain being probably
of the order (in our case) five to eight cents per shower? For us (1.5
persons), only $30 to $50 per year.

So could one estimate, that in a family of say five with a proclivity
to take long showers and/or baths; the saving, by allowing the warm
bath water to slightly add warmth to the house could be of of the
order of $200-$520?

If so that's around one dollar per day which is what some poor
families this world try to live on!

The present credit and economic crunch brings some of our energy
wasteful methods to mind. And there are apparently now houses that are
so well insulated and have solar cells etc. that they actually make
more energy than they use for the house itself. However don't think
those houses are in very cold or hot climates etc. or the extra
investment cost needed?

BTW it only takes a moment or so to clean off the bath tub and it
takes a few litres of water; which do not need to be hot as shower
water (cold or oller will do) so that's a non issue; merely to prove
that warm water should NOT be held in bath tub. Must calculate the
heat lost from the volume of the exhausted air from the fan, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, remember. You did mention bath water. A tub full of
water is betwen 40 and 50 galons.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
You mean a galon of water every week contains more BTU
than
40 galons of hot water, every day? Amazing. I'm going to
have to make this into a research project, and get
published. Thanks for a great research paper subject, you
goofball.

40 gallons of hot water every day for SHOWERS? You're
kidding, right?
Do you have the Dugger freaks living with you?

PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

50 gal x 8 pints/gal x 20 degree drop in temp = 8000 BTU
8000 / 134000 BTU (per gal kerosene) = 0.06 or 6/100
if 1 gal kerosene = $4.00 den 6/100 gal cost a bit less den a quarter.
Keep it up and someday u be buyin a new caddy wid it (year 3009) -
Cappy

wrote:
You mean a galon of water every week contains more BTU
than
40 galons of hot water, every day? Amazing. I'm going to
have to make this into a research project, and get
published. Thanks for a great research paper subject, you
goofball.

40 gallons of hot water every day for SHOWERS? You're
kidding, right?
Do you have the Dugger freaks living with you?

PLONK!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:40:03 -0800 (PST), Cappy
wrote:

50 gal x 8 pints/gal x 20 degree drop in temp = 8000 BTU
8000 / 134000 BTU (per gal kerosene) = 0.06 or 6/100
if 1 gal kerosene = $4.00 den 6/100 gal cost a bit less den a quarter.
Keep it up and someday u be buyin a new caddy wid it (year 3009) -
Cappy

Kerosene is going for $1.65/gal in my area. The better benefit of
keeping the water is the added humidity.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Feb 15, 9:32*am, terry wrote:
[...]

2 cubic feet of water? Isn't that about 16 gallons? 16 gallons per
shows? Obviously you've never met my teenagers. They don't get out
until the water runs cold.

A more energy efficient thing to do would be to get a tankless hot
water heater. Most of your energy loss isn't from the water that you
use but is from the water that if being held at temp waiting to be
used. I'd get one but then I'd never get the kids out of the shower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 11:21*am, Pat wrote:

A more energy efficient thing to do would be to get a tankless hot
water heater. *Most of your energy loss isn't from the water that you
use but is from the water that if being held at temp waiting to be
used. *I'd get one but then I'd never get the kids out of the shower

Allegedly, my father-in-law used to shut off the hot water if he
thought
one of his five sons was taking too long.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you want to get that anal about extracting 8 cents of heat from
shower waste water, they do have heat recovery devices you could
install in the drain line. * It's basicly a heat exchanger that runs
the exiting waste water past the incoming cold water that is going to
your water heater. * I doubt it's practical, worth the cost/trouble,
etc but at least you don't have to stand in 4 inchs of water taking a
shower.

The drain line heat recovery device is what you need, like what's
described he

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...-heat-recovery

Payback time in a retrofit situation is probably 100 years or
something, but it probably make sense from an environmental
sustainability point of view.

Ken
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:
[...]

Heck fire feller! Do wut we do down here in th South,
take yall one bath a week. FLNF

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to terry, Adrian Campbell wrote:
Hi Terry my husband has forwarded your above information to me. He has a habit
of leaving our bath water in all day. We do not use an extractor fan whilst
using the bath. The window is left closed. We have mould in a lot of places!
He still disagrees with me to pull the plug out. Even though leaving it in
causes scum to form and then dry on the bottom of the bath when I later
realise and pull the plug out. The bath water takes a long time to drain. If
you pull the plug out straight away the scum is less likely to settle. Please
can you send him an email to say as we do not use an extractor fan mould forms
in the damp atmosphere?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...wn-359603-.htm