Posted to alt.home.repair
Cam Cam is offline

Default Damage from Leaving Water Heater Off?

Will leaving an electric water heater turned off for extended periods
cause the heater any damage?

I have a second water heater serving the upstairs of my house, and I'd
like to leave it turned off except when company comes over (once a
month or so). The unit is located in unheated attic, but it's adjacent
to heated space, and winters are mild here in northern Alabama, so I'm
not too worried about freezing.

The thermostats are a pain to get to, and they don't have any
"vacation" setting like gas heaters I've seen. Another option is
installing a timer to turn it on for a short period each day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turn it off/on at the breaker. Leaving it off and using it 1/mo should
not be any problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cam wrote:
Will leaving an electric water heater turned off for extended periods
cause the heater any damage?

I have a second water heater serving the upstairs of my house, and I'd
like to leave it turned off except when company comes over (once a
month or so). The unit is located in unheated attic, but it's adjacent
to heated space, and winters are mild here in northern Alabama, so I'm
not too worried about freezing.

The thermostats are a pain to get to, and they don't have any
"vacation" setting like gas heaters I've seen. Another option is
installing a timer to turn it on for a short period each day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

I'd turn it off. I don't know of any downside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will leaving an electric water heater turned off for extended periods
cause the heater any damage?

I have a second water heater serving the upstairs of my house, and I'd
like to leave it turned off except when company comes over (once a
month or so). The unit is located in unheated attic, but it's adjacent
to heated space, and winters are mild here in northern Alabama, so I'm
not too worried about freezing.

The thermostats are a pain to get to, and they don't have any
"vacation" setting like gas heaters I've seen. Another option is
installing a timer to turn it on for a short period each day.

No harm in turning it off; I do it all the time at my cottage.
You don't want to do it at your breaker; they (usually) aren't designed to
be switches.

I ran the circuit to an accessible spot and put a switch on it; might not be
appropriate for your first electrical work though. Turns out it had
inadequate wire on it, so I might have prevented a fire in the process!
If I had it to do over again I would have used a relay, but I didn't know
about relays then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many electric companies and water heater OEM's reccomend turning heater
off at the breaker to save cost. It is perfectly okay to turn a circuit
off at the breaker.....thats what its for...........

Ex: To work on a circuit.......you turn the breaker off..............if
your breaker does not like this on/off stuff......replace the breaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 5 Dec 2006 08:56:42 -0800, "Cam" wrote:

Will leaving an electric water heater turned off for extended periods
cause the heater any damage?

I have a second water heater serving the upstairs of my house, and I'd
like to leave it turned off except when company comes over (once a
month or so). The unit is located in unheated attic, but it's adjacent
to heated space, and winters are mild here in northern Alabama, so I'm
not too worried about freezing.

The thermostats are a pain to get to, and they don't have any
"vacation" setting like gas heaters I've seen. Another option is
installing a timer to turn it on for a short period each day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

I've got a little farm house here in Texas that we visit once or twice
a month. We've had an electric water heater there for over six years.
I wired it through a heavy duty switch, (30 amp). Every time we come
there we switch it on and then when we leave we switch it off. Real
convenient. Water heater and switch from Lowes. We do turn the water
off at the meter when we leave, just in case of a leak.

It should work for you
Posted to alt.home.repair

breakers are excellent switches, dont worry about it...........

If the water sits for a long time I would flush the lines let them run
espically the hot so its not stagnant and possibly contaminated or
unhealthy

flush before guests arrive

Posted to alt.home.repair

avid_hiker wrote:
Many electric companies and water heater OEM's reccomend turning heater
off at the breaker to save cost. It is perfectly okay to turn a circuit
off at the breaker.....thats what its for...........

Not all breakers are meant to act as switches.

Of those that are, some are meant for resistive loads only, while some
are rated for inductive loads as well.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Friesen wrote:
avid_hiker wrote:
Many electric companies and water heater OEM's reccomend turning heater
off at the breaker to save cost. It is perfectly okay to turn a circuit
off at the breaker.....thats what its for...........

Not all breakers are meant to act as switches.

Of those that are, some are meant for resistive loads only, while some
are rated for inductive loads as well.

Chris

well look at it this way breakers arent generally expensive and pretty
easy to replace. so rather than rewire and install switch try using
breaker, if it causes trouble then replace the breaker and install
switch.

to be safe buy a spare breaker and keep on hand in case its needed.

cost what 25 bucks? Thats what a buddies cost although his was hard to
find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No harm in turning it off; I do it all the time at my cottage.
You don't want to do it at your breaker; they (usually) aren't designed to
be switches.

The utility companies recommend turning loads off at the breaker panel.
What is wrong with that practice?

Posted to alt.home.repair

*EXCELLENT* advice. Our old house sat empty for 9 months after we had
moved, trying to sell it. I turned the W/H off at the breaker. No reason
to heat water in a house that's not being lived in. Well, in case anyone
hasn't noticed, the real estate market sucks right now.....so we had to
break down and rent the house. I went over to bring the house back up,
check things, turn the heat on, etc.

I thought flushing all the plumbing would be a good idea. Hooked a hose to
the W/H and flushed it out with fresh water. The water that came out stunk
bad! Yuck! Definitely flush a W/H that has been idle!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
breakers are excellent switches, dont worry about it...........

If the water sits for a long time I would flush the lines let them run
espically the hot so its not stagnant and possibly contaminated or
unhealthy

flush before guests arrive

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 5 Dec 2006 12:09:32 -0800, "
wrote:

breakers are excellent switches, dont worry about it...........

If the water sits for a long time I would flush the lines let them run
espically the hot so its not stagnant and possibly contaminated or
unhealthy

flush before guests arrive

In that case, flush it before you turn the heater back on. Once you
heat the water, there is no way to flush it without wasting the
electricity you used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm spake thus:

On 5 Dec 2006 12:09:32 -0800, "
wrote:

breakers are excellent switches, dont worry about it...........

If the water sits for a long time I would flush the lines let them run
espically the hot so its not stagnant and possibly contaminated or
unhealthy

flush before guests arrive

In that case, flush it before you turn the heater back on. Once you
heat the water, there is no way to flush it without wasting the
electricity you used.

I thought the electricity comes out with the water, and you can just
catch the water in a container and then hire one of those firms that
separates the electricity from the water and puts it back into the wires ...

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

No harm in turning it off; I do it all the time at my cottage.
You don't want to do it at your breaker; they (usually) aren't designed
to be switches.

The utility companies recommend turning loads off at the breaker panel.
What is wrong with that practice?

Most breakers are not made to be used as switches and to be switched off and
on very often.
The power company recommendations are probably for people that turn the
breakers off and on a few times a year.

I would not want to turn them off and on every day, but I don't see any
problem with switching them once every month or two.

Where I work (very large factory, about 40 acers under roof) it was decided
a few years ago to cut off lights in areas that are not used at nights or
weekends. All that was there was breakers for the lights. We had to
install switches for the lights instead of just using the breakers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Ralph,

That is my understanding as well. The following breaker is an example
of one that is UL approved for frequent switching:

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Energy.../dp/B00002N5HG

Cheers,
Paul

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 19:18:04 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Most breakers are not made to be used as switches and to be switched off and
on very often.
The power company recommendations are probably for people that turn the
breakers off and on a few times a year.

I would not want to turn them off and on every day, but I don't see any
problem with switching them once every month or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well if the heater is already off, like water at temp then switching
the breaker doesnt matter.

So avoid switching breaker off immediately after drawing hot water so
that event will be no load.

Thus the ONLY time the breaker will see a load on trip will be when
theres a tank of cold water and the breaker is first turned on.

Once or twice a month shouldnt be a problem........