Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Damage from Leaving Water Heater Off?

Cam wrote:
Will leaving an electric water heater turned off for extended periods
cause the heater any damage?

I have a second water heater serving the upstairs of my house, and I'd
like to leave it turned off except when company comes over (once a
month or so). The unit is located in unheated attic, but it's adjacent
to heated space, and winters are mild here in northern Alabama, so I'm
not too worried about freezing.

The thermostats are a pain to get to, and they don't have any
"vacation" setting like gas heaters I've seen. Another option is
installing a timer to turn it on for a short period each day.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cam

I'd turn it off. I don't know of any downside.