Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Damage from Leaving Water Heater Off?

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message
news

No harm in turning it off; I do it all the time at my cottage.
You don't want to do it at your breaker; they (usually) aren't designed
to be switches.

The utility companies recommend turning loads off at the breaker panel.
What is wrong with that practice?

Most breakers are not made to be used as switches and to be switched off and
on very often.
The power company recommendations are probably for people that turn the
breakers off and on a few times a year.

I would not want to turn them off and on every day, but I don't see any
problem with switching them once every month or two.

Where I work (very large factory, about 40 acers under roof) it was decided
a few years ago to cut off lights in areas that are not used at nights or
weekends. All that was there was breakers for the lights. We had to
install switches for the lights instead of just using the breakers.