Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Worth leaving shower/bath water to cool down?

"terry" wrote in message
Tendency here is to leave shower/bath water to cool down thus
releasing its warmth to the bathroom. We always have the exhaust fan
running while bathing of course to get rid of moisture.

And while we are in the bathroom (in centre of house, no windows) six
40 watts bulbs (total 240 watts) above the vanity mirror are on
keeping the temperature comfortable so that relative humidity is not a
problem.The mirror. for example, fogs over for five to six minutes and
then clears by itself. There are no mould/mildew problems.

Our electrcity costs, on average, ten (10) cents per k.watt/hr. So; by
doing this am I saving some 7 to 8 cents per shower?

With an average of 1.5 persons in house one shower each per day = 365
x 1.5 x 0.08 = potential saving of $44 per year? Enough, maybe, for a
magazine subscription?

Welcome comments, criticism, or advice whether I have dropped a
decimal point (or other grievous error) in calcs.

And of course the above is probably a 'high' average. Many showers are
quicker than that (less used water). While, for example washing one's
hair couple of times a week, while showering takes an extra minute or
so.

Couple of comments.

Yes, you are saving money by leaving the water to cool and give off the heat
you paid for. Rather than leave the exhaust fan on, leave the door open a
few inches and you won't get the buildup of moisture and you won't have to
blow out the heated air. Neither of my bathrooms have vents and it has
never been a problem if you open the door a bit. If you are afraid of
someone seeing you naked, run the fan. Assuming the water is left, the next
person taking a shower has to step into the dirty soapy mess?

Next is the water in the tub. We spend very little time cleaning the tub as
all the dirt and soap are washed down the drain with little residue. It
seems to me that after sitting for a couple of hours, the soap scum and
other assorted dirt is going to need cleaning. That adds to both water use
and the cost of cleaning solutions. That, plus your time, detracts from the
$44 a year.

FWIW, my electric rate is 19¢, but my water is heated with oil.