Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General Question Painting the Kitchen

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint them
so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply
wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate
Posted to alt.home.repair

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint
them so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can
simply wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it
difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

I tell my clients to use the shiniest paint they can stand. I once
painted my hallway with semi-gloss and found it too shiny. If you're
not sure, get sample sizes of both types, and paint some spots in the
kitchen.

You're right that shinier paint is easier to clean. You should have no
trouble getting the new paint to stick to the old if you do proper
preparation. Wash and rinse the walls several times with tri-sodium
phosphate (TSP) cleaner--kitchens usually have greasy walls.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/12/2009 10:13 PM SteveBell spake thus:

[...]

Not disagreeing with you--seems the glossier the better--but I hear that
with some modern paints, even flat finishes are just as washable as
semi-gloss or glossy. Apparently paints have improved in the washability
department. Does anyone else know anything about this for sure?

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint them
so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply
wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

Semi alkyd paint would be vastly better in terms of cleaning. Painting
over flat paint should be fine, providing it is clean and not peeling.
I run the floor nozzle brush for the vac. cleaner over walls to clean
dust and cob webs. Then wash, rinse and dry. Patch any
holes. Fine cracks, esp. at corners, can be fixed with flexible,
paintable caulk. Prime any patches and be sure to feather the primer
so it doesn't show. Two coats is almost always needed in my experience.
Buy paint and good rollers/brushes at a good paint store.

Depending on the brand, satin or semi may look just about the same.
The semi in my kitchen has some sheen; matter of taste. A big scribble
with magic marker came off this wall, which was amazing. When I last
used latex semi, it stained easily and was crap to paint over. Pay
particular attention, in the prep, to removing greasy dirt above stove
and around wall switches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

You can't even buy real TSP any more. Any good household cleaner, such
as Fantastic or Form. 409, with take the grease and, probably, a little
paint. Washing and rinsing "several time" would finish the job for me.
Prep. is enough work without going to extremes. Getting off the dust
and dirt is important, but if there was lard hanging on the wall, I'd
use some denatured alcohol to wipe it as a last touch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint them so
that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply wipe it
off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the flat
paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

*I agree with everyone else that the wall preparation is very important in
the kitchen. One thing that I would add is to go to a reputable paint store
and talk to them about what products are best for your needs. I have found
that the paint store guys are very knowledgeable about paint products
compared to other stores. I like Benjamin Moore products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 12, 11:14*pm, Kate wrote:
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. *I would like to paint them
so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply
wipe it off. *Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: *Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? *Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

Most washable is gloss oil. Clean walls real well before painting.
Over the years of cooking, oils have coated everything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 7:00*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Kate" wrote in message

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. *I would like to paint them so
that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply wipe it
off. *Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: *Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? *Also, would these two types of paint go right over the flat
paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

*I agree with everyone else that the wall preparation is very important in
the kitchen. *One thing that I would add is to go to a reputable paint store
and talk to them about what products are best for your needs. *I have found
that the paint store guys are very knowledgeable about paint products
compared to other stores. *I like Benjamin Moore products.

Right, buy from a Paint Store, consider a primer to bond to greased
surfaces. If its not done right when it peels it will be a nightmare.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. *I would like to paint them so
that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply wipe it
off. *Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: *Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? *Also, would these two types of paint go right over the flat
paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

*I agree with everyone else that the wall preparation is very important in
the kitchen. *One thing that I would add is to go to a reputable paint store
and talk to them about what products are best for your needs. *I have found
that the paint store guys are very knowledgeable about paint products
compared to other stores. *I like Benjamin Moore products.

Right, buy from a Paint Store, consider a primer to bond to greased
surfaces. If its not done right when it peels it will be a nightmare.- Hide quoted text -

Another factor to consider is that a semi-gloss will show much more of
any wall defects, ie nail head dimples, imperfect joints, depressions,
etc. For it to look good, you have to be sure all of that is taken
care of prior to painting. If not, at night, when light hits it at
the right angle, the defects that you would not see with flat are
readily visible.

Personally, considering the above and that I think a semi-gloss is too
shiny, I'd go with something between flat and semi, ie satin,
eggshell, etc. I think you will find those a better balance, while
still being easier to clean than flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

[...]

still being easier to clean than flat.- Hide quoted text -

So true, but a perfect wall with gloss oil like Moore Impervo looks
great, if the style works. I saw a whole giant modern house done in
it. I bet the painters were sick for months from painting it from the
fumes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint
them so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can
simply wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it
difficult.
What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

It's not the "finish" (flat, satin, gloss, semi-gloss, etc.) that governs
washability so much as it is the durability of the surface. In general,
"enamels" are much harder than non-enamels. Also, in general, enamels are
more glossy than non-enamels, but not always. And you're right - the
"shinier" the surface, the smoother it is and the easier to clean. Spagetti
sauce wipes off an enameled sink easier than it does your jeans.

In the past, "enamels" have almost always been oil-based, but latex enamels
are now available.

So, then, pick a finish - remember, kitchens should usually be brighter than
the rest of the house. Then go for a paint formulation designated as an
"enamel."

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Kate wrote:
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint
them so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can
simply wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it
difficult.
What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

It's not the "finish" (flat, satin, gloss, semi-gloss, etc.) that governs
washability so much as it is the durability of the surface. In general,

I disagree. In my experience, "washable" flat latex was far less
cleanable than semi alkyd. Some flat paints also lose some of the
"flatness" after cleaning. Good paint brand, mild cleaning agent.

"enamels" are much harder than non-enamels. Also, in general, enamels are
more glossy than non-enamels, but not always. And you're right - the
"shinier" the surface, the smoother it is and the easier to clean. Spagetti
sauce wipes off an enameled sink easier than it does your jeans.

When I think of "enamel" it is of glossy solvent-based paint. The few
times I have used it, it was very tough to get smoothe coat. IMO, it is
a good deal more difficult for a newby painter to get good results with
enamels. There can also be more glare, which makes the color appear
different.

In the past, "enamels" have almost always been oil-based, but latex enamels
are now available.

So, then, pick a finish - remember, kitchens should usually be brighter than
the rest of the house. Then go for a paint formulation designated as an
"enamel."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 21:14:53 -0800, Kate wrote:

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint them
so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply
wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

Semi is more scrubbable. Scrup satin and it goes to semi - more or
less. Either will work over what is there, but it has to be
CLEAN!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:20:52 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

Use a "third generation" latex which is spec'd as Interior/exterior
for maximum durability.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 06:17:38 -0500, "
wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

Ral TSP IS still available. At any good paint store. Mabee not at the
"borg"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:00:47 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

On Feb 12, 11:14Â*pm, Kate wrote:
My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. Â*I would like to paint them
so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply
wipe it off. Â*Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Â*Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Â*Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

Most washable is gloss oil. Clean walls real well before painting.
Over the years of cooking, oils have coated everything.

Forget oil.
Today's 3rd gen latex is every bit as durable and scrubbale
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:58:04 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Kate wrote:
[...]

Just a tip. Buy only "100% acrylic" latex, and for adhesion, alkyd
modified 100% acrylic latex is available - generally used as aluminum
siding paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

SteveBell wrote:
[...]

What is available in the US is labeled "TSP", but is no longer
tri-sodium phosphate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kate" wrote in message

[...]

Ditto on the eggshell and the other above posted advice..The only other
thing I'd add is to use top quality rollers and brushes and unless you've
done a bit of painting before it might be best to hire it done if you or
SWMBO are especially fussy on the final results...Semi-gloss and gloss
paints are very unforgiving and roller/brush marks , runs , ect. will stick
out like a sore thumb...Good luck....