Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General Question Painting the Kitchen

On Feb 13, 8:22*am, ransley wrote:
On Feb 13, 7:00*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. *I would like to paint them so
that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply wipe it
off. *Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: *Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? *Also, would these two types of paint go right over the flat
paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

*I agree with everyone else that the wall preparation is very important in
the kitchen. *One thing that I would add is to go to a reputable paint store
and talk to them about what products are best for your needs. *I have found
that the paint store guys are very knowledgeable about paint products
compared to other stores. *I like Benjamin Moore products.

Right, buy from a Paint Store, consider a primer to bond to greased
surfaces. If its not done right when it peels it will be a nightmare.- Hide quoted text -

Another factor to consider is that a semi-gloss will show much more of
any wall defects, ie nail head dimples, imperfect joints, depressions,
etc. For it to look good, you have to be sure all of that is taken
care of prior to painting. If not, at night, when light hits it at
the right angle, the defects that you would not see with flat are
readily visible.

Personally, considering the above and that I think a semi-gloss is too
shiny, I'd go with something between flat and semi, ie satin,
eggshell, etc. I think you will find those a better balance, while
still being easier to clean than flat.