Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default General Question Painting the Kitchen

On Feb 13, 7:34*am, wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:22*am, ransley wrote:

On Feb 13, 7:00*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:

"Kate" wrote in message

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. *I would like to paint them so
that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can simply wipe it
off. *Right now, a flat painted wall makes it difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: *Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? *Also, would these two types of paint go right over the flat
paint and look right?

Thanks so much everyone.

Kate

*I agree with everyone else that the wall preparation is very important in
the kitchen. *One thing that I would add is to go to a reputable paint store
and talk to them about what products are best for your needs. *I have found
that the paint store guys are very knowledgeable about paint products
compared to other stores. *I like Benjamin Moore products.

Right, buy from a Paint Store, consider a primer to bond to greased
surfaces. If its not done right when it peels it will be a nightmare.- Hide quoted text -

Another factor to consider is that a semi-gloss will show much more of
any wall defects, ie nail head dimples, imperfect joints, depressions,
etc. *For it to look good, you have to be sure all of that is taken
care of prior to painting. * If not, at night, when light hits it at
the right angle, the defects that you would not see with flat are
readily visible.

Personally, considering the above and that I think a semi-gloss is too
shiny, I'd go with something between flat and semi, ie satin,
eggshell, etc. *I think you will find those a better balance, while
still being easier to clean than flat.- Hide quoted text -

So true, but a perfect wall with gloss oil like Moore Impervo looks
great, if the style works. I saw a whole giant modern house done in
it. I bet the painters were sick for months from painting it from the
fumes.