Posted to alt.home.repair
Kate[_4_] Kate[_4_] is offline

Default General Question Painting the Kitchen

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will get samples.

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 2/12/2009 10:13 PM SteveBell spake thus:

My kitchen walls have a flat paint on them. I would like to paint
them so that if I get spaghetti sauce splashed on the walls, I can
simply wipe it off. Right now, a flat painted wall makes it
difficult.

What would be the best type of paint to use: Semi-Gloss or a
Satin paint? Also, would these two types of paint go right over the
flat paint and look right?

I tell my clients to use the shiniest paint they can stand. I once
painted my hallway with semi-gloss and found it too shiny. If you're
not sure, get sample sizes of both types, and paint some spots in the
kitchen.

You're right that shinier paint is easier to clean. You should have no
trouble getting the new paint to stick to the old if you do proper
preparation. Wash and rinse the walls several times with tri-sodium
phosphate (TSP) cleaner--kitchens usually have greasy walls.

Not disagreeing with you--seems the glossier the better--but I hear that
with some modern paints, even flat finishes are just as washable as
semi-gloss or glossy. Apparently paints have improved in the washability
department. Does anyone else know anything about this for sure?