Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Chipped bathroom sink

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in news:_loil.170528$zQ4.133133@en-nntp-
02.dc1.easynews.com:

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

You left out any hint as to the Z coordinate.... :-)

All assuming this is a white sink.

What I mean is how deep is it? Of course you can't give a measurement.
For average small chips they do sell little bottle of porcelain enamel
paint. It's like a bottle of nail polish with a brush. You clean the
chipped spot real well then put a coat on and let it dry. You'll still
see grey and a dent. Over a period of days and several coats to let it
dry in between, you fill in the chip with layers. Sure, it doesn't
totally disappear like magic but it's not an eyesore that yells out "Look
here" at you.

Guess you could try just the porcelain paint or you could try a combo of
using the porcelain paint to "glue" and fill the chip you have. Problem
is if that chip is not smooth with the rest of the surface, it'll look
like **** and will probably get knocked loose again.

You said VERY heavy. If this is some kind of big chunk you may need to
look into some kind of waterPROOF epoxy. Not water resistant.

Blocked sink in bathroom Endulini UK diy 19 January 6th 09 11:03 AM
Bathroom Sink Repair Rob Home Repair 2 May 12th 07 01:04 AM
clogged bathroom sink rob Home Repair 10 September 8th 06 04:39 AM
pop up bathroom sink plug svmsbb UK diy 3 August 13th 06 11:33 PM
I've chipped the sink MikeR UK diy 13 June 7th 05 07:32 PM