Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Blocked sink in bathroom

Hi All,

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly) and have
unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger, before I call a
professional to sort it does anyone have any other suggestions? I was
thinking of one of those pressure type unblockers, do they have any obvious
pitfalls apart from blowing your pipes asunder?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly)
and have unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger,
before I call a professional to sort it does anyone have any other
suggestions? I was thinking of one of those pressure type unblockers,
do they have any obvious pitfalls apart from blowing your pipes
asunder?

never used one, normally when a sink needs unblocking, it's best to unscrew
the trap from the bottom and remove the crayons / pens / elastoplast etc and
then screw it back on.....have an old towel ready to catch the half pint of
dirty water as it comes free.

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly)
and have unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger,
before I call a professional to sort it does anyone have any other
suggestions? I was thinking of one of those pressure type unblockers,
do they have any obvious pitfalls apart from blowing your pipes
asunder?
Thanks

Have toy tried taking the U bend apart to see if the blockage is in there?

It is quite easy to do, just rememmert to NOT put the water in it down the
sink while the U bend is apart!!

Shout for further instructions!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

Aha. You too?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 23:35:08 UTC, Mike Dodd
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

Aha. You too?

Me too... and more than once :-(
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:46:10 -0000, Endulini wrote:

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly) and
have unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger,

I'm surprised a plunger hasn't shifted it. You did block the overflow when
using the plunger and have a good basin full of water? You might need a
small 2 to 3" dia plunger on a basin. A normal 4" one can have difficulty
getting a good seal thus losing a lot of it's hydraulic effect.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
Phil L wrote:

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

Aha. You too?

BTDTGTTS.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:46:10 -0000, Endulini wrote:

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly) and
have unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger,

my sink is blocked
because the water somewhere down it is frozen.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "george (dicegeorge)"
writes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/526904.stm

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 00:14, "Phil L" wrote:
Endulini wrote:
Hi All,

I've a partially blocked sink in my bathroom (it does drain slowly)
and have unsuccessfully tried chemical unblockers and a plunger,
before I call a professional to sort it does anyone have any other
suggestions? I was thinking of one of those pressure type unblockers,
do they have any obvious pitfalls apart from blowing your pipes
asunder?

never used one, normally when a sink needs unblocking, it's best to unscrew
the trap from the bottom and remove the crayons / pens / elastoplast etc and
then screw it back on.....have an old towel ready to catch the half pint of
dirty water as it comes free.

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

I agree you need to take the trap off and clean it out. The snag is
that it can be very difficult to get a watertight seal when you put it
back on -- be sure to dry all the threads/O-rings before you screw it
all together.

My own sink drain has the additional problem that its discharge pipe
has a long horizontal run where it goes through the wall, and pretty
shallow outside. I find I have to scrape the gunge out of the
horizontal bit with a mini drain rod lookalike.

But before you do all that, check for hairs in the plug hole itself --
it's amazing how much a few strands of hair dangling around the hair-
catcher grid can impede the flow. A small bottle brush should do the
trick, but you can often just pull them out with fingers or a tweezer.

Oh, and if you _do_ remove the trap, put a bucket under it first :-)

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

Phil L wrote:

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

Aha. You too?

Me too...

And me.

How silly! What you should do is clean the trap out into a bucket. Then
grab the bucket full of filth and pour that down the sink. Only then
remembering you have not put the trap back...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Phil L wrote:

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

Aha. You too?
Me too...

And me.

How silly! What you should do is clean the trap out into a bucket. Then
grab the bucket full of filth and pour that down the sink. Only then
remembering you have not put the trap back...

Done that too!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan 2009 12:30:40 GMT someone who may be "Bob Eager"
wrote this:-

PS, don't rinse the aforementioned trap in the aforementioned sink

How silly! What you should do is clean the trap out into a bucket. Then
grab the bucket full of filth and pour that down the sink. Only then
remembering you have not put the trap back...

Done that too!

It seems like we have all done these two. The other one I have done
is to remove a dishwasher connection in order to get the trap out,
put the trap back, run water into the sink in order to test the
re-installed trap, pull the plug out and then be reminded that I
hadn't re-installed the dishwasher connection by the sound of water
coming out of it and into the cupboard.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I agree you need to take the trap off and clean it out. The snag is
that it can be very difficult to get a watertight seal when you put it
back on -- be sure to dry all the threads/O-rings before you screw it
all together.

LSX is your friend...

LSX ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

LSX ?

SVFX

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/fernox-ls...0g-p-2297.html

Blocked kitchen sink Matt UK diy 14 July 20th 07 10:27 PM
Unclogging a blocked sink overflow??? [email protected] Home Repair 9 May 5th 07 11:44 PM
blocked drain in bathroom [email protected] UK diy 7 November 7th 06 09:13 AM
Blocked Bathroom Pipe - Caustic Soda? Chris Davies UK diy 2 January 22nd 05 11:39 AM