Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blocked drain in bathroom

The basin in our bathroom has not been draining well over the last
week. I've tried shifting it with a flexible metal rod. Also used
caustic soda which didn't work. The blockage is not in the trap, but
must be further along the pipe.
Basin is now full of standing water, with 'Mr muscle', which also
failed to unblock it.
Any suggestions on what I do with this now?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The basin in our bathroom has not been draining well over the last
week. I've tried shifting it with a flexible metal rod. Also used
caustic soda which didn't work. The blockage is not in the trap, but
must be further along the pipe.
Basin is now full of standing water, with 'Mr muscle', which also
failed to unblock it.
Any suggestions on what I do with this now?

Caustic soda solution might have to be left all day or over-night for a
really bad blockage, even though the label says leave for 30 minutes. Have
you tried vigorous sink plunging? It is important to block the overflow
whilst plunging otherwise a lot of the suction and pressure will be lost.
Can you insert the flexible metal drain clearer up the outlet end? If all
else fails and the waste pipe is connected with push-fit or compression
fittings you may have to dismantle the pipe further along and clear the
blockage. But if you can't get at the pipe or if it has welded fittings then
its back to caustic soda and the plunger. You have got to be more determined
that the blockage will move than the blockage is determined that it is going
to stay put.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 07:25:27 -0800, hicks wrote:

The basin in our bathroom has not been draining well over the last week.
I've tried shifting it with a flexible metal rod. Also used caustic soda
which didn't work. The blockage is not in the trap, but must be further
along the pipe.
Basin is now full of standing water, with 'Mr muscle', which also failed
to unblock it.
Any suggestions on what I do with this now?

================================
Look in your local shops for something like this:

You can get them either with a sliding plunger as shown or as a simple
plunger. Whichever you use make sure that there's no possibility of
getting an eyeful of the caustic soda you've been using.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Codswallop wrote:

Caustic soda solution might have to be left all day or over-night for a
really bad blockage, even though the label says leave for 30 minutes. Have
you tried vigorous sink plunging? It is important to block the overflow
whilst plunging otherwise a lot of the suction and pressure will be lost.
Can you insert the flexible metal drain clearer up the outlet end? If all
else fails and the waste pipe is connected with push-fit or compression
fittings you may have to dismantle the pipe further along and clear the
blockage. But if you can't get at the pipe or if it has welded fittings then
its back to caustic soda and the plunger. You have got to be more determined
that the blockage will move than the blockage is determined that it is going
to stay put.

The pipe is not really accessible. I haven't tried plunging though.
I'll try the suggested Screwfix product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 08:29:02 -0800, hicks wrote:

Codswallop wrote:

snipped

The pipe is not really accessible. I haven't tried plunging though. I'll
try the suggested Screwfix product.

================================

Don't *buy* at Screwfix - it will cost an extra £5-00p in handling
charges. Buy locally.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

================================
Look in your local shops for something like this:

You can get them either with a sliding plunger as shown or as a simple
plunger. Whichever you use make sure that there's no possibility of
getting an eyeful of the caustic soda you've been using.

I use one of these and it's not failed me yet

Don't forget to block the overflow with a cloth.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I use one of these and it's not failed me yet

Don't forget to block the overflow with a cloth.

You're right. It worked! 2.99 well spent there. Thanks for the tip.

A/C Drain into sink vent? bwalters Home Repair 1 July 15th 06 02:26 PM
A/C Drain into sink vent? bwalters Home Repair 0 July 14th 06 10:39 PM
Dishwasher Drain Greg Home Repair 2 June 8th 04 11:54 AM
Shower Drain Problem Please Help Michael Roback Home Repair 1 October 26th 03 01:27 PM
Remodel Leaking Drain Emergency Michael Roback Home Repair 0 October 24th 03 04:03 AM