DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chipped bathroom sink (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/270411-chipped-bathroom-sink.html)

[email protected] February 4th 09 10:09 PM

Chipped bathroom sink

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

Tony Hwang February 5th 09 03:52 AM

Chipped bathroom sink

wrote:
I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

Hi,
I think there is a brush on paint(or whatever) in a little bottle
you can use. They come several different color. Try HD.

Red Green February 5th 09 04:24 AM

Chipped bathroom sink

wrote in news:_loil.170528$zQ4.133133@en-nntp-
02.dc1.easynews.com:

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

You left out any hint as to the Z coordinate.... :-)

All assuming this is a white sink.

What I mean is how deep is it? Of course you can't give a measurement.
For average small chips they do sell little bottle of porcelain enamel
paint. It's like a bottle of nail polish with a brush. You clean the
chipped spot real well then put a coat on and let it dry. You'll still
see grey and a dent. Over a period of days and several coats to let it
dry in between, you fill in the chip with layers. Sure, it doesn't
totally disappear like magic but it's not an eyesore that yells out "Look
here" at you.

Guess you could try just the porcelain paint or you could try a combo of
using the porcelain paint to "glue" and fill the chip you have. Problem
is if that chip is not smooth with the rest of the surface, it'll look
like **** and will probably get knocked loose again.

You said VERY heavy. If this is some kind of big chunk you may need to
look into some kind of waterPROOF epoxy. Not water resistant.

Ernie Willson February 5th 09 01:13 PM

Chipped bathroom sink

Try "Porcelain ChipFix".

http://www.homaxproducts.com/product.../08/index.html

It has worked for me. Available at Lowes. It's a two part epoxy paint
like material.

EJ in NJ

Phisherman[_2_] February 6th 09 11:43 AM

Chipped bathroom sink

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 14:09:11 -0800, wrote:

I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

Tx

You can try epoxy. Then seal the cracks with nail polish.

HeyBub[_3_] February 6th 09 02:56 PM

Chipped bathroom sink

wrote:
I just noticed a chip in the porcelain of my bathroom sink.
It is about l" long and 1/3" wide. I found part of the chipped
material, but it doesn't fit exactly, so some bits must have
been washed away. I assume the chipped area is due to something
VERY heavy falling into the sink.

Questions:

1. Is there something "plastic" in texture that I can mold into the
chipped area?

2. Or am I better off trying to "glue" the salvaged bit
of porcelain into the damaged area. If so, with what?

Any suggestions welcome.

There are folks who can come to your house and do an invisible repair,
essentially re-porcelinizing the chip. They've got torches and everything.