Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Suggestions on correcting the poor ventilation in my attic?

We have been in the house a few months, we knew we had to fix some
attic vent problems from the home inspection.

I was up in the attic today.
I have good sofit vents with foam shields to keep the insulation from
blocking.
There is a ridge vent installed along the entire length of the roof.
BUT the guy who did the work covered it with felt and shingles.

I tried to see what I could do with a razor blade, but it seems to be
too much to correct.

I can easily add gable vents and fans, but not sure this will correct
the problem.

If it matters, in the future we would like to install a whole house
fan.

This is a 2 story house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"theedudenator" wrote in message
We have been in the house a few months, we knew we had to fix some
attic vent problems from the home inspection.

I was up in the attic today.
I have good sofit vents with foam shields to keep the insulation from
blocking.
There is a ridge vent installed along the entire length of the roof.
BUT the guy who did the work covered it with felt and shingles.

I tried to see what I could do with a razor blade, but it seems to be
too much to correct.

I can easily add gable vents and fans, but not sure this will correct
the problem.

If it matters, in the future we would like to install a whole house
fan.

This is a 2 story house.

If you want to add a whole house fan you'll need some gable vents and they
should equal in are the size of the fan, usually about 30' square.

I'd also try to open the ridge vent, but not seeing it, I don't know how big
a job it will be. Investigate some different cutting tools

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:12�pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

a job it will be. �Investigate some different cutting tools- Hide quoted text -

remove ridge vent cut open openings from above outside replace ridge
vent and shingles.

the problem is the bad roofer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 9:16*pm, " wrote:
[...]

I thought about that also, but I will have to wait until it is warmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 9:16*pm, " wrote:
[...]

Do you think I will be able to use the old ridge vents?
Or will I need to buy new.
Shouldn't there also be a mesh type filter pad?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:45:19 -0800 (PST), theedudenator
wrote:

We have been in the house a few months, we knew we had to fix some
attic vent problems from the home inspection.

I was up in the attic today.
I have good sofit vents with foam shields to keep the insulation from
blocking.
There is a ridge vent installed along the entire length of the roof.
BUT the guy who did the work covered it with felt and shingles.

I tried to see what I could do with a razor blade, but it seems to be
too much to correct.

I can easily add gable vents and fans, but not sure this will correct
the problem.

If it matters, in the future we would like to install a whole house
fan.

This is a 2 story house.

Come spring peal off the cap shingles and finish the ridge properly -
or better yet call back the moron that did the roof and make him fix
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

it.- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, one can only wonder what else the roofer did wrong. I agree
with the advice to just open up the ridge vents. Even if you wind up
having to replace them, ridge vents are cheap. Not only is it less
work than screwing around with gable vents, it's the better solution.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:
[...]

Another vote for ridge vents here. The roofer screwed up big time. If
he won't do it over right, litlgate.
Owens Corning makes dandy ridge vents as do others. Check the specs
for air flow on each for best results.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I did not have the roof installed this way. I bought the house this
way.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 2, 5:06*pm, theedudenator wrote:
On Feb 2, 2:28*pm, Joe wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Your inspector caught the goofup. Hopefully, that was noted in the
purchase price negotiations. If you care to, the roofer could be
reported for code violations. Meanwhile, find a roofing firm with
better qualifications, bonded, insured, recommended, etc. It would be
wise to get repairs underway as soon as possible. Ask the roofer to
assess the roof for other bad conditions, like missing ice barrier in
valleys and lower courses. Then you will know what to expect in the
way of durability and can have the budget in shape when finally
needed. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 8:45*pm, theedudenator wrote:
We have been in the house a few months, we knew we had to fix some
attic vent problems from the home inspection.

I was up in the attic today.
I have good sofit vents with foam shields to keep the insulation from
blocking.
There is a ridge vent installed along the entire length of the roof.
BUT the guy who did the work covered it with felt and shingles.

I tried to see what I could do with a razor blade, but it seems to be
too much to correct.

I can easily add gable vents and fans, but not sure this will correct
the problem.

If it matters, in the future we would like to install a whole house
fan.

This is a 2 story house.

The whole house fan requires that you have a certain amount of total
square feet of venting in the attic (generally equal to the area of
the fan itself) but it doesn't matter where that venting is - can be a
combination of soffit vents and ridge vents, mushroom vents, gable
vents, open window, whatever. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

There was a long list of DIY type "repairs" on the house.
All of this was accounted for in the final price.

I will be having a friend who knows roofs work with me on it.
Soon as the weather is good we are going to pull the ridge vent caps
and see what we find.

Attic Ventilation.. JD Home Repair 14 June 26th 07 01:52 AM
attic ventilation higgledy Home Repair 22 July 27th 06 04:33 AM
attic ventilation stevie Home Repair 10 January 29th 06 01:33 AM
attic ventilation stevie Home Repair 17 July 28th 05 04:24 PM